Management

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by zacer1129, Nov 18, 2008.

1. zacer1129

zacer1129 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I own and manage about 180 acres that is contiguous to another 120 that I have sole permission on which to hunt that I also manage. As I said in a previous post, I've only been bow hunting for about 3 years, and thus that is about as long as it has been extensively managed. We try to take a couple does a year on it at least and let any bucks under 3 1/2 years old walk. My buddy dmjarb01 just took a bruiser there (see his post) and I know its got some serious potential genetically. The landowner across the way who helped us drag him out also reported seeing another similar 9 and a noticeably bigger 11. He also told us they had been selective of buck harvests on their adjoining farm, but said he hadn't killed a deer for about 4 years, leading me to believe they don't have adequate doe harvests. As I was telling my friend, I suppose that is just as good as noone hunting, and at least he's not whacking young bucks.

The downfall is that our farms are in smack dab in the center of one of the largest public tracts of land in Indiana. I'm going to post it extremely well at season's end, including locked gates and signs every 40 yards around the perimeter, but we run several people off every year during gun season. Our farm is exclusively bow hunted, in an effort to keep the pressure low, especially during an annual carnage fest (gun season) where the public land morons will shoot anything that even slightly resembles a deer. I am also planning on planting a few small attractive food plots late next year hoping to keep more animals on the farm during the entirety of deer season. Thus far this season, we've seen more bucks than does for a change, but I expect that to change after the slugs start flying.

My question is, if properly managed, is this farm large enough to make a difference with the management practices or will the poor, if not entirely absent management of the adjoining public land going to outweigh our efforts. I haven't really talked with anyone well versed in management about it. I'm considering consulting a wildlife biologist to see if he has any suggestions, particularly about the placement of foodplots and varieties. Just thought maybe some of you might have some similar management experience?

2. zacer1129

zacer1129 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ...silence

3. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only have 85 acres and I am hoping to hold some good buck on it by planting the best food plots in the neighborhood and making the best bedding areas for the deer. I may not keep them all on my property but I bet I can save a couple.

Go for it, I bet you can make a differance.

4. boonedog

boonedog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, if I were you I would feel like I'm in heaven! I have never managed land for improved deer quality. But, I plan on doing just that someday and have read extensively on the subject. I'll give you some quick thoughts and look forward to hearing what some of our knowledgeable members have to say.

With a total of 300 acres that you control, I believe you have a great opportunity. I would even venture to say that even though you are surrounded by heavily hunted public land you can use this to your advantage. Getting some food plots in and creating some sanctuary areas deep within your land will help bring deer in and keep them there especially when the lead starts flying from the public land boys. From what I have read you should try to plant a minimum of 1% (3 acres) of your land with food plots consisting of various crops that mature at different times throughout your deer season. And, the sanctuary areas should be places that even you should stay out of so that the deer feel comfortable going to your sanctuaries during the season. Obviously, you will be hunting them as they come in and out of these sanctuaries! :nana:

I'm not sure how the biologists feel about working with private land owners in Kentucky but you may be able to work together in establishing antler point restrictions in your county. I have seen nothing but positive things happen to local deer herds when these restrictions are put in place. Where I hunt in Missouri these restrictions have been in place the last few years (4 points on one side is a legal buck) and I have definitely seen an increased number and quality of bucks in the 3,000 acre public land areas that I hunt.

Here is a quote from the Quality Deer Management Association and a link to a great article on the QDMA website about how to go about managing your land!

"Contact your local QDMA Regional Director, state wildlife agency biologist or accredited consulting biologist, and get them involved. A biologist can help identify limiting factors on the Cooperative property, help the Cooperative set realistic goals, and develop the best operating guidelines based on your goals and local conditions."
    http://www.qdma.com/articles/details.asp?id=87

5. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like what dreams are made of. Count your blessings to have such a wonderful place to hunt.

6. zacer1129

zacer1129 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Indeed, the farm has proven to be a deer magnet and I think I have a golden opportunity here in terms of terrain. We have about 50% CRP fields and 50% woods. About half of the CRP fields, we planted with trees last spring (mostly white and swamp white oaks.) It should be deer mania in about...25-30 years haha. But the places that we planted trees have been super thick and the deer are already finding that they are the best bedding area around. A crossable, yet large river also bisects the property. The best cover and water in the county, I guess all that is left to guarantee to lock in some home range bucks is some awesome food plots!