Man....if all works out we won't know what to do?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by tynimiller, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely worth checking out.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting and bleeding off isn't a concern unless it also does it while running. I always ask to run anything I'm going to buy and I run the crap out of it until I'm satisfied it checks out. I've had people get impatient but there's lots of equipment and I don't like spending money to buy and then to fix.

3. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We lease through John Deere at work at we're only allowed 100 hours for $500 I believe which is a steal of a lease. I find it really hard to believe you get 4000! That's more hours than I'd spend money on, on a used tractor, let alone all in one year?

Sure you didn't add an extra 0?

4. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    I heard about it through my boss. So it may not be 4000 hrs. I just thought it would be worth Ty's time to check into.

5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh definitely I just found those numbers really hard to believe.

6. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the property!! You'll definitely be much less worn out at the end of the day using a tractor and implements. We use to be in the same boat with all the manual labor. The biggest thing we had was the 4 wheeler.
    We have used craigslist for most everything we own.
    We have saved up enough over the years to pay cash for everything except our big tractor. Big to us. 66 at the drawbar, 75 at the pto with a loader. It is only a 2 wheel drive which is fine for what we are doing. Neither of our tractors have cabs on them. They do both have heat and cold. The problem is that it is heat in the summer and cold in the winter.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I've already decided I'll bring a $20 and say we're gonna run the thing a lot and if we don't buy it here is more than enough for the gas we use. If he is willing (bad sign if not) I want to hook up the bush hog, and run it up and down for a distances and turns and such raise and lower and raise and lower...fire up PTO and turn it off and repeat. Big purchase, and for us a lot of money. Don't want to not be happy with it in the end...because be years till we buy another hopefully.

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I hope it works out, that's a pretty good deal if it's okay or just needs some little stuff. I've always gotten along pretty good with old used equipment. I can't afford new stuff very often and hardly ever the big items like tractors and stuff. The only things I've ever bought new were that Belarus in 2000, my current pickup and that Kubota. The Kubota actually started out as me looking at a little Massey garden tractor with 3-point, PTO. I was going to buy it, said I'd take it and when I went to pick it up...where I had ran it the day before, the main seal was leaking. I thought well okay, I'll check on parts and it was NA...I backed out of that deal. Dealer had new Kubotas right next to the Massey, I walked over to the one I bought, looked at the tag and bought it on the spot. Needed something small for the pumpkins and 5' tiller, old garden tractor had pooped out so had to have something.

9. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely ^^^This^^^ for sure. None of this equipment is "cheap". If it is there is generally something wrong. Paint will make anything look pretty. Pretty don't get the job done. Put it through its paces. Make sure it'll do what you want it to. Don't mistreat it but make sure it'll do what it is supposed to.
    Like Covey said, if it bleeds off when it is running then there is a problem. I'm not so concerned about it bleeding off when it isn't running. Our little tractor bleeds off when not running the bigger one don't. They both hold load while running.

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well....less than 3 hours from first hand test runs and decision...will share photos and videos even possibly of it if we end up grabbing it.

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Welp it's official we own a Ford 3000. Pulling up I knew instantly this guy knew tractors...he had 5 Oliver tractors, 4 of which you could tell he'd spent a lot of hours and money on fixing and restoring (Oliver is a local brand to our area too!). The Ford wasn't in bad shape but first thing I noticed was it wasn't cosmetically restored (not terrible tho either), which was fine as I began inspecting it.

You could tell the guy had spent some serious time going through it. Brand new nuts and bolts throughout...new o rings and lines/hoses...and such.

Felt engine block and not warm so liked that it fired up, zero smoking and purred like a kitten. PTO was strong and worked perfectly, clutch and shifting was smooth and every gear worked great. Brand new regulator and other parts as well. Pops and I both drove it a bunch and agreed the thing was way more than we'd even flirt with an 8N or similar.

Didn't leak or make any odd noises...smooth throughout. The hydraulic worked great and no noticeable bleeding at all.

Part of the deal is still a new valve stem and get new parts to get tachometer up and running.

Few photos but i sadly didnt take many as I was too wrapped up in checking it out.

00X0X_j4BBBJnsb6k_1200x900.jpg
    00j0j_2IGtcsptsSB_1200x900.jpg
    00m0m_2lUBtuLq0Ym_1200x900.jpg

13. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    She's in her work cloths but she's pretty straight, a little paint and some TLC and you can get a lot of use out of her and still double your money if you so choose.
    Pretty good buy I'd say, congrats.

14. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Ty. That'll get ya where you need to go.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, winter job is gonna include a lot of steel wool and sanding and elbow grease then paint. But I was kinda happy she's been taken care of where it counts more than looks....she'll clean up just fine.

Thanks bud! He threw in a 5ft Howse bush hog that needs some spot welding but solid and runs great...all together $2800. That tractor is a $3500 alone if patient easy.

Pumped.

16. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just clean then clear coat. Vintage is in. :cool:

17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Look at them on tractor house, they run in price from $2800 on the really low side and very few of those to 4-10 with a loader. Looks like the average price on there would be around the $5k'ish mark.

18. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A 3000 sold near me recently in pretty poor shape for 3500 bucks....congrats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

19. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say ya done a great job!! Paint is cheap considering. You'll be amazed how much you get done in a weekend and how little you hurt come Monday morning. Get a set of ear plugs and go to work. No need to be hard on your hearing.

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Been told and recommended by many to grab some ospho for treating and than overpainting the rust...anyone have experience?

Tags: