Male turkeys more likely to spook?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Blackwolf, May 7, 2019.

1. Blackwolf

Blackwolf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm relatively new to turkey hunting and have been out in a high pressure area several times. I use a Trad bow and no blind with camo and a facemask.

I've called in several hens and they seem to just walk around curiously and then leave. I finally called in a Jake a couple days ago and as soon as he got within 20 yards he saw me and took off running. I didn't move so I'm thinking he saw my eyes or the exposed skin on my right hand.

Is a male turkey more likely to notice things like this or is it just a fluke that only turkey I've spooked that badly was a male?

I'm going to have to use some face paint next time.

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When toms come in they are actually searching for movement of hens, hens in brush are smaller less colorful, so they are really focusing. Having a decoy out a bit and off to a side would take his attention away from your position. They can be uncanny in their ability to pin point the exact location a call came from.

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, a decoy will greatly help. Give them something to see instead of searching intensely for something. I just use a single hen for a decoy. A face mask should work fine for concealment...but I do personally much prefer paint. What was your setup like? Camo works best if you have something behind you to blend into. A wide tree or similar. I also like to be kneeling, it's been my experience that game sees the standing human form much faster than if kneeling or sitting. (Make sure to practice kneeling shots to ensure you are accurate from that position.)

oldnotdead likes this.