Making the switch to a single pin sight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Skywalker, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After a lot of back and forth, I think I have finally decided to go single pin on my new Mathews Halon 32 setup. So, now what? There's just so many choices out there. I know I want one that will let me shoot out to 100 yards for target practice and it would be nice if it would have some sort of stop that will let me set my 20 yard pin and easily be able to get back to it. I've looked at some of the Axcel sights, but I just don't know. I don't mind spending good money, but some of these get insane. So, for those of you that are experience single pin shooters, what sights do you like and why?

2. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HHA makes a good one, works well and is pretty affordable. A quiver can get in the way of it's function, so if you shoot without one its a good sight.

MBG makes a good one as well. I prefer the sliders that work out in front of the sight away from anything on the riser. The Apex Covert is similar to MBG.

3. dukester78

dukester78 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. Martin D8 Player

Martin D8 Player Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got the Truglo AC Range Rover. Was thinking of the HHA, but the shop had this one, HHA and the Trophy Ridge Clutch. This was my favorite. I like the wheel to move the needle. Was a bit lighter than the HHA. Easy set up. But, it is made in China.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If budget is a big concern I'd go with the HHA Optimizer Ultra rather than their Kingpin. I personally prefer the dial over the slider and feel it's worth the extra $$. HHA's are 100% made in the US and backed by a full lifetime warranty. Something goes wrong, they'll take care of it, which is nice to know. The Ultra comes with spacers to accomodate your quiver - although personally I used the TightSpot mount which relocated the quiver bracket a few inches above the sight, and really liked that setup.

If HHA didn't exist my next two choices would be Axcel or Black Gold. I think both of those companies make top notch products.

6. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im a big HHA fan and have several. I have one to sell if you're interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used a Black Gold Ascent and HHA XL-5519. I liked the wheel of the Black God much better than the rear slide of the HHA. It not only allows me to mount my quiver traditionally without an extra mount like I have now, it was smoother. The Black Gold has the PhotoChromatic cover to help regulate brightness, the HHA has the manual rheostat. Both work great. I kind of liked the auto dark better because the HHA is so bright I find myself adjusting the rheostat quite often when changing from sunny to darker areas. I do think the HHA might be brighter (as I mentioned it is very bright). I am using the HHA now but have been considering going back to the Black Gold opposed to the Kingpin to get the wheel again. I just like the wheel better.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice. I have the KingPin on my Halon 6 and I really like being able to turn the sight back to 20 yards without having to look down at it.

9. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my HHA, but disappointed that all the mechanical fasteners rusted like crazy when it got wet.

10. bossbucks25

bossbucks25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used a bunch of 1 pin sights. HHA, Black Gold. Just purchased the Axcel Accutouch, it is the best sight I have ever owned.

11. jd2206

jd2206 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the HHA but will actually switch back to a 3 pin sight this year. I have too many other issues to worry about rather than worrying if I adjusted my sight

12. mobowhunter14

mobowhunter14 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg and I love the sight!

13. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hha ultra lite optimizer for me easy to set up and to the yard accuracy!!!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

14. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Black Gold Ascent for the same reasons. I liked the wheel better than the HHA sliders.

15. Tyrail

Tyrail Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the haha Optimizer Ultra and have loved it for the past couple years. Did run into a situation this last year. It was a evening low light situation looking to put down a doe. Could still see the doe and the pin just fine but it was to dark to see my dial to make changes to the range. So if that is a consideration I would go with the Kingpin that has the option for illumination on the dial.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

16. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought this last year and I will never buy another.. the dot is adjustable as far as brightness goes.. no pins in the way so it makes picking a spot easy. U can also buy a magnified glass to shoot longer distances. I was shooting 80 yards 3 inch groups with my no cam.

APEX

17. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you thought about a green/red dot sight? I just couldn't get used to pins of any kind, the green dot is awesome and has helped my accuracy. I use a TruGlo Range Rover Pro, 2X lens, Specialty peep and a #1 Clarifier for hunting, 3D and back yard shooting.