Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Making shed hunting more efficient!

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by octhereicome, Mar 7, 2011.

1. octhereicome

octhereicome Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    any tips for making shed hunting more efficient?
    Where to look first?
    Most likely places to find them?

2. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My successes so far in my short hunting career have come mostly from public land. This is because the tracts I have permission to hunt are small, i.e. 75, 12, and 10 acres. I can cover this land very well in one weekend. Because of this I utilize the thousands of acres of public land around my house to shed hunt. The odds of people covering all the ground is slim to none and I have found a few nice spots that are secluded enough to where I can find some sheds.

Just make sure if your in a good area you cover it well because from my experience you will find them anywhere and everywhere. Good luck, hope this helps a little. Its my best 2 cents on the subject.

3. MObowhunter10

MObowhunter10 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is no rhyme or reason when it comes to finding sheds, you really just have to walk, walk and walk some more. Definitely center your walks around a food source, and I find that draws leading to food sources are dynamite. Also bedding areas located close to food. Creek crossings and fence jumps are pretty good spots to, but I wouldn't count on it as much as bedding areas by food. I've also found a mathematical equation that works pretty well for finding sheds.. It's "For every 100 thorns that stab the crap out of you, It raises your chances of finding sheds by around 45%." ... This simply means look in the thick stuff, I find most my sheds in the thickest nastiest briar patches around.

4. gunther89

gunther89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shed hunt in an area that had deer during the winter. lol

5. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    own or have sole access to the right piece or pieces of ground! you will be amazed at how good of a shed hunter you will become. :)

6. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can put as many miles on you want and not find a shed If bucks aren't around. Been there and done that so many times/years. It's so frustrating but that's just how It goes. Just like hunting, there's good shed area's too. The woods I hunt Isn't normally a good place to find sheds. My family and I have found probably 10 sheds In the 25 years my dad has owned this land. Them are some pretty bad odds. My brother found a matched set this year which was a 1st here. This winter we had more bucks hanging around then ever before. About time I say! I have a feeling our neighbors land Is full of sheds every year. They have some good sized food plots and a huge bedding area. I've asked to go In there but they said no.