Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Making a shed trap?

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by AUbowhunter, Dec 16, 2011.

1. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to shed hunting and I am hoping to find some on a new property this coming Feb/March and into turkey season. I live in Huntsville AL and have heard of making a shed trap using a log about two feet over corn. I was wondering if this works and if my time frame is good for my location. Also any other tips for hunting in mountainous terrain would be great.

2. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would think March would be your best time to find sheds. I suspect it is pretty green by April down your way... otherwise I would think that is the best month to look for them in your area.

I am not a big fan of trapping sheds but using a log would be better then wire or chicken/wire fence. Should work. If you are going to bait/trap for sheds... setup a trail camera. This will tell you when your bucks are shedding so you know when to start looking for sheds on your property. Tromping is the best way to find sheds. If you have kids... take them along. Fresh air and exercise is good for them... and most seem to like looking for treasures. Great way to get them involved in the outdoors.

Tim