Lumenok/nockturnal Easton Axis 5mm

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WhiteMike, Sep 18, 2022.

1. WhiteMike

WhiteMike Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m wondering if Lumenok or nockturnal is a universal fit or if they have different arrow specific sizes. I’m shoooting Easton Axis 5mm 300. I live in Idaho and they finally are allowing illuminated nocks, I’ve never given them a second thought and now they are sold out in every shop within 50 miles of me

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  2. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some manufacturers sell a universal fit nock where the package includes a set of collars sized specific to the arrows inner diameter. I feel this leaves room for a lack of a tight fit so I prefer a nock sized correctly.
    The Easton 5mm shafts take the same X nock size in lighted nocks. In my opinion I would want a lighted nock specific for the 5mm which is going to be .204 or x size.

cantexian, Justin, WhiteMike and 2 others like this.
  3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What camo said

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Idaho too and just started messing with them. I couldn't find any direct fit and bought some Nocturnal nocks that are universal fit.
    I have made them work, but I could write a small novel about what I don't like about them. They turn on when just being clipped to the string, the collars slip out of the arrow when un-nocking from your string, I glued the collars into 3 of my arrows and the nock will still slip out of the collar when un-nocking. I have to carry a tack on my bow quiver to turn them off when they accidently activate...I could go on.
    Get a different brand to try, and for sure do as camo75 said and get direct fit.
    I'm told that if you get Lumenok's make sure you have an arrow squaring tool. They are dependent on a good square fit into your arrow to work properly.

camo75 likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Every archer should own a squaring tool anyways - that's just a good thing to have.

I'm not sure there is a "perfect" lighted nock that nobody can find a complaint with. They all have their quirks. In my experiences with Lumenoks if you prep your arrow correctly and trim the nock to fit your arrow, you won't have any issues with them. 99.9% of the time, people's issues with them can be resolved by squaring their arrow, cleaning the inside of their arrow shaft, or trimming a little bit off their nock. It should be loose enough to turn on the nock by pressing it by hand but not so loose that it easily comes unseated. But it also shouldn't be tight enough to require your teeth or a set of pliers to get them out. A small wiggle by hand should be all it takes.

I get that some people don't want to do anything with their nocks - just push them in and forget it. If you're that person, Lumenoks aren't for you. If you don't mind spending a couple of minutes to get them fitted properly, they work awesome. And are by far the brightest nock on the market.

Fix and camo75 like this.
  6. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Like Justin said, they all have their quirks. I battled with nockturnal after having both good and bad results. I started with lumenoks but had an issue with them dimming out but I haven’t used them in awhile.
    The brand I bought last year were glory nock and they have done well for me. But I have heard people do not like them. I like that I can turn them off easily with my thumb. This is just one of those components that you will likely find what you prefer the best but it may take trying several brands over the years to see what works best.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Lumenok dimming issues are usually caused by bad contact between the arrow and the circuit that turns the light on. Depending on your arrow and nock size that can by fixed by cleaning off the inside of the shaft (x nocks) or squaring the back of the arrow for standard .246 sized nocks. The X nock closes the circuit with a single lead that touches the back of the arrow shaft, and the battery contacting the inside of the shaft. The other nocks use two leads on the back of the arrow. If your arrow isn't perfectly square on the back one lead will contact more solidly than the other, which results in the dim light issue.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    camo75 likes this.
  8. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    That was probably my issue but back then I didn’t have the tools to do better finishing jobs. I know better now!!

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    All good! I like to put the info out there just in case someone is having an issue and looking for an answer in the future.

10. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely. You and PJ have always had good tips here and on your webpage. I have learned quite a bit here. Thank you Justin. You might pass on the word to PJ that he's OK too:biggrin:

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    PJ just tries to one-up me all the time. He's a real egomaniac.

12. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like the self contained nocks from Nocturnal, etc. I just wish they weren't so bloody frustrating to turn off. I am always on the lookout for the perfect mouse trap in lighted nocks, but like Justin said, they all have their pro and cons it seems. I was super stocked for the Glory Nocks, but bought a pack and the nock width was huge and didn't fit my string/d loop like my standard nocks do. I'll stick with Nocturnals until something else catches my eye.

13. WhiteMike

WhiteMike Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m glad I made this thread because I had no idea about squaring arrows. I just figured the nock end of the arrow was squared at the factory and the broadhead end was squared when the shop cuts it, but it sounds like that isn’t the case?

also I got the nockturnal X size nocks and they fit perfectly and have had no issues yet