Loss of fps

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by David Sandey, Jul 10, 2020.

1. David Sandey

David Sandey Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Recently bought a 2020 Bear Paradox single cam 70# bow rated for 330 fps, set at 28.5" draw length and 56# draw weight, installed a Trophy Ridge Sync MD drop away rest and shooting CX Maxima Hunter 250 (400 spine) cut to 28" and 100 gain points, total weight of arrow is 364 grains. Looking at a few web sights that estimate fps show I should be around 280 fps, shoot though a chronograph and was only getting 255 fps. Any idea what would cause this?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Those online calculators that tell you what you "should" be getting are never very accurate. Every bow, regardless of it's IBO rating, is going to react differently to changes in draw length, draw weight, arrow weight, etc. Some are more efficient than others - meaning they'll be able to transfer more energy into the arrow than others.

At only 56 lbs I wouldn't be expecting much more than what you're seeing. It seems pretty accurate to me.

Keep in mind string accessories like peep sights, string loops, string silencers, etc will all slow your arrow down as well. Also, keep in mind that published IBO speeds are rarely correct. They're often inflated similar to horsepower numbers on cars and trucks. The Paradox is a mid-level, single-cam bow. I personally have a hard time believing it will shoot 330 fps even at IBO specs.

255 fps is plenty fast to kill stuff. Worry more about being accurate and less about how fast your arrow is flying.

3. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the above .... what are you expecting, 300 fps ?? ... 56 lbs is plenty for most critters/ deer/turkey/bear/antelope etc , heck even larger.... I try to be around 6-7 grs per lb of draw weight, some like to be higher, I like the medium so I still get some speed .... I'm lucky that I have a FULL 30" draw which helps my FPS/ Mo/KE ... use a COC /fixed head and be done with it ..... btw, I just dropped my draw weight to 61.5 lbs, I'll adjust my arrow spine/wt accordingly as to how the bow tunes.. either a 340 or 300 series .... I have been at the 300 series for 64 lbs but am looking at 340s at the new draw weight ... will be bare shaft tuning in up coming days to see what the bow likes after a string/cable/draw weight change .....

4. David Sandey

David Sandey Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies, I e-mailed Bear Archery and they said the same thing