Looking to get a crossbow

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by remist17, Jul 23, 2015.

1. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a shoulder injury and I'm thinking about getting a crossbow. I'm about 40 minutes from a sports store
    I'm looking to buy it from amazon. What are your thoughts on this and can you recommend a model? Looking at 314ft/sec at least.

2. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couple things. Don't take this the wrong way but if you buy a crossbow off of Amazon you're running a few risks... 1. most companies don't honor warranties when bought offline. 2. A lot of companies have a minimum advertised pricing so when Amazon sells it for cheaper they are taking money away from local bow shops and they possibly could be selling you a used bow. 3. If and when something bad happens to the bow you're going to have to take it to a local bow shop to fix anyway, why not purchase one from them, build a relationship, help keep businesses in business, and if something goes wrong they'll be there to help. If you still want to buy one online look into a Barnett ghost 360, maybe the penetrator model... or the quad400. Be extremely careful when you assemble it and read all directions. That's another downside of buying online no one properly instructs you on how to operate and care for it.

Sent from my ASUS PadFone X using Tapatalk

3. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I went and got the parker from the archery shop. Never thought I would have a crossbow. I feel like I just got caught cheating.

4. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Few years back I was against PA allowing them until a few things happened...

1. I better understood the impact they would have or do have on hunters and archery based on studies from other states
    2. I relaxed on the thought that...everyone else will be killing the deer I want. That is just part of hunting, I accept it regardless of season or method of take.
    3. The biggest reason...my uncle would never of started archery hunting again with us and my dad would likely only hunt the gun season now as he is getting older and does not have a lot of accuracy with the standard bow any more ( although we are trying to get a compound setup which would fit him better)

Is it a bit easier because it is more point and shoot...yes. Is it fool proof? No. My dad missed a very good buck last year which was less than 20 yards from him. Crossbow will not fix buck fever. You still need to breath and keep calm :)

I even took it out a few times last year. Although not a lot of fun to carry, once on the stand or ground blind, I enjoyed it.

Good luck with it!