Looking into getting a DSLR camera

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by anthonyzink, Sep 9, 2015.

1. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is a good camera to start with that won't break the bank out of the gate? I want to get one to film hunts and what not. I'm currently using a camcorder but like the better looking video you can get with a DSLR camera! Thank in advance for any info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think most recommend the Canon 70D if you are going DSLR. Keep in mind that if you are self filming, a DSLR can be extra challenging. There's no option for zoom other than manually changing the lens. Same for focus. The 70D is supposed to have a quality auto focus, but when you have deer moving in with trees and branches in between, most auto focus's will hunt for focus which pretty much ruins the footage. No doubt you can get a great look using the DSLR and if you have a dedicated cameraman then the focus and zoom issues are not really applicable.

An alternative, while and expensive one, kinda can give you the best of both worlds. The Sony PXW-X70 uses a much larger 1" sensor than other traditional camcorder options. While it's still not as large as an APS-C sensor, it will give you a much greater depth of field than you can get with small sensor camcorders. Yet, you will have the added features of a camcorder like professional audio and the option to use a lens controller that you can control the zoom, focus and other features.

I love my DSLR and intend to use it a little bit for interviews and second angle type stuff, but my hunting footage will be done with my PXW-X70.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015