Looking for suggestions...

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by mobow, Mar 5, 2009.

1. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I'm pretty new to the whole trail camera deal. The only one I've ever rocked out with was an old 35mm POS.......Long story, but this year I want to kick it up a notch. So I'm wanting to get 1 for sure, probably 2.

Here is what I want to do with them, then I'm looking for suggestions. I first just want to take an inventory. For this, I will likely utilize a corn pile or something to lure them to one spot. For this application I don't mind a camera with a flash as I am not really concerned with spooking deer. I was thinking along the lines of the Moutrie D40.

However, I also want to utilize the camera to try to pattern some deer, so for this application I want something IR. This is the one I really have no idea what I want. I don't mind spending a little money here, but I don't want to break the bank either. I am more concerned with this camera than the first, so if the one I end up getting is more coin than I would like I'll just get this one and not 2.

I was looking at the Stealth Cam I540IR or the Bushnell Sentry, but folks....I'm open to suggestions on this one.

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If It was me I wouldn't even think about any other camera out there other then a Reconyx. Yes there spendy but you get what you pay for with trail cams. Some Reconyx models have night pics where you don't see no lights what so ever when they take night time pics, by far the best thing yet for night time picture camera's. The camera's also don't make a sound when taking a picture like a bunch of others all do. There trigger speed Is crazy awesome, nothing comes close to It. You won't miss a thing with this camera. The only thing I don't like about the Reconyx Is that they don't take video's. I have the RC60 and so far I like the camera. Here's there website- http://www.reconyx.com/

3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I have the 3.1 and it does fine,,,my bud has the 40 and he likes it also. His has the IR, mine dont!! The only thing i dont like in mine is night time pics. The deer look like someone screwed light bulbs in there eyes!!

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hear very good things about the newer model Moultrie's (not the D40 though)

5. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have a couple of Cuddeback No Flash/IR cameras and I really like them. They've been good to me.

6. Arkansas Bowhunter

Arkansas Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Antoine river Bottoms, Clark County, Arkansas
    I have two of the Reconyx cameras. I am with Schultzy on this topic. But if that is not in the budget. I would look at the Scoutguard cameras for the IR's or the Leafriver cameras. The Bushnell are rough on batteries.

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Reconyx if you have the money, probably the best performing cam out there...but also the most expensive. It's performance reflects its price.

Covert if you need a more affordable option but still a great camera offering everything you personally seem to be wanting out of one.

Have to weigh all your options, including a budget. Decide what is important to you in a camera (IR, trigger speed, battery life, etc)..I think this is where cameras such as Covert and especially Reconyx excel over the Moultrie, Wildview, and other counterparts.

8. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:

I have had Moultries, Bushnells, Wildviews and Cuddebacks. If I'm using the camera for scouting and not just taking inventory over a pile of corn, I would steer clear of any Moultrie. They are loud and spook deer with the IR lights.

Though I have never owned a Reconyx, bet your ass that I will soon. The biggest sell to me is "you don't see no lights what so ever when they take night time pics." :cool:

9. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you aren't into all the technology mumbo jumbo. The stealth cam isn't half bad.
    I have the Jim Shockey Sniper version. It is small, and light-ish weight. Easy set up.
    Decent pics if it is set up right. Here is pics from it.

Morning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Evening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't have any NIGHT shots per say, but 2000hrs is pretty close.

The bigggest downfall is cold weather eats the c cell batteries up pretty quick. Mid range weather is still pretty decent, warm weather, I assume it would be pretty long.

I know this particular model has plugs for a solar panel, and a 6 or 12 volt battery that you can get for it too, I jsut don't have the money for that right now.

EDIT: notice all of the temps read 32. I think it gets stuck on stupid after that.

10. jkcmerg

jkcmerg Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mo--it all depends on what you want to spend..i have the Moultie D40's and have never had a problem yet..1000's of pics...as with any game cam, imo, the batteries don't last long in +10 to below zero weather..but for under $100 its a 'good' camera...there is also a solar panel you can hook up to it for and addition $60 (i'm petty sure i've seen them down to this now)...if you think about it, you'd spend that much on rechargables anyways...jmo

11. Arkansas Bowhunter

Arkansas Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Antoine river Bottoms, Clark County, Arkansas
    I know someone that has three D40's an they have been flawless. Its all about what you want to put out there. Something to consider is how confident are you that no one will bother the cameras you put out. That can also determine how much you are willing to spend.