Looking for New Boots

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jmbuckhunter, Apr 10, 2013.

1. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm heading to Wyoming on an elk hunt this fall. My Danner Pronghorns have seen better days, but I loved the fit and feel of those boots. However after reading the reviews on them I found out they sent the construction overseas and they are not the same boots they used to be. I went to Cabelas last night to see for myself. I didn't like the feel of the "New and Improved" version.

I've heard good things about Meindl Boots, so I checked them out online. The Perfeckt Boot gets great reviews, but the Ultralight (The one I liked) got a lot of really bad reviews. Notably not waterproof. Some said theirs were made in Vietnam. Are any of these boots really waterproof? Let's here what you know.

I have a bunch of Cabelas points, so I can offset the high price some if they are truly worth it. I just don't want any bad surprises.

I'm also open to other suggestions, but they need to be sold around St. Louis. I don't like buying boots I can't try on. 8 or 10 inch boots 200-400 gram thinsulate.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am all about good leather boots. Cloth boots are of no interest to me, they get shredded here in the rocks and cactus.

Meindl (Germany)
    Asolo (Italy)
    Lowa (Germany and Italy)

All of them make good boots (NOT in China!). All of them make boots that can hold up to rugged terrain, support your feet, and be comfortable all day long.

Some of the Danner boots are still made in the USA, others are done overseas, just gotta watch them. LaSportiva makes most of their boots in Italy, some in China though, just gotta check.

I'm needing new ones also, My Vasque boots have given me over 15 seasons and it's time to get some new ones. A few years ago, I would suggest Vasque, but since they got bought by Red Wing, they farm them out to China (used to be made in Italy)

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You might want to look at these Wolverine King Caribou boots. I'm on my second pair since 1996. I love them for bow hunting, they're warm, comfortable, quiet and light weight. They make you feel good while wearing them.

[​IMG]

4. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dang it! I love my Pronghorns and was planning on buying a new pair this year. Guess I'll keep an eye on this thread to get some information. I've heard good things about the Meindl boots and may take a look at them.

5. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Asolo, Great boots, waterproof, great traction, great feel, and very durable.

6. Sneaky

Sneaky Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a pair uf the Chinese Vasque. I did not know they were Chinese when I bought them and I can honestly say there is none of the stigma of being manufactured there in the construction. They are just 10 months old now, but have been on well over 50 days in the field plus the three or four weeks I wore them daily for the break-in. All I can say is they have no obvious wear except for the normal scuffing that leather gets with hard wear outdoors. A bit of polish and a little mink oil and they are good as new again.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Meindl all the way...buy them and don't look back. I have two pair, one uninsluated Denali's I used them on a couple early season Elk hunts. Mine are older and dont have the IQ foot bed. I have beaten these to death over the years and they really held up well.
    I also bought a pair of the 10" perfect hunters and I used them on last hunt which was later in season. I think i like the perfect hunters better of the two.

8. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like gummi bear stated, those 3 brand are all good, tbh i think for boots, the ones that are the best are the ones made in europe same with optics, but thats just me..

9. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  10. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Am I the only person ever to not fall in love with Danner Pronghorns? I had mine for a couple years, and I never thought they were all that great. My dad and brother swear by their pair but I was just never that impressed.