looking for advice on small food plot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Pontooner, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Pontooner

Pontooner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I currently have a parcel of land that is 17 acres that is planted in alfalfa and clover. I'd like to carve out about a 1/4 to 1/2 acre area to plant a food plot that will bring deer into bow range in the only spot I can set up a blind. Any ideas on what I should plant and when? Thanks in advance.

2. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  3. Pontooner

Pontooner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Located in central Illinois. Adjoining farms have soybean and corn so that's already around as well. I'm in more of a crossing point and want to draw them into bow range.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Having good food sources around you makes it hard to compete. What I like to do is plant the same crop, like beans or corn, later in the year, so that when the farms cut their fields, the deer have a place to move right into to continue to feed on what they are already enjoying.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pear trees or apple trees, pumpkins too. I have also heard that deer love brussels sprouts, they are very tolerant of cold.

6. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't harvest my brussel spounts in the garden and the deer picked them clean, it was only 6 plants but they are history now.

7. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Plant a buck decoy about thirty to forty yards up wind.

8. Tyrail

Tyrail Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If it were me I would do up a small plot of forage radish or turnip, adding some verity might bring them in. Radishes would be good for early to mid season and the turnips will work mid season on through to late season.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would still do a third of the plot in clover and the other 2/3 in brassica blend. When the brassica plants are starting to come up. Just overseeding a bag of winter rye into it. This will cover food for your hunting season.

10. arpy00

arpy00 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If there is not a water source close to you, consider adding a pond (if possible). Food everywhere...water sometimes not. My two cents.

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I go with soybeans. Deer love them when it gets cold and there is snow on the ground. Hard to beat IMO. We have 1 acre of standing corn and 1 acre of standing beans. The deer are in the beans more than they are in the corn.
    Are you in an agricultural area? I assume you are if you are in central Illinois. We live in an ag area. I planted brassica of various versions last year along with peas and oats. The deer walked right by them. They finally ate the peas in February. The brassica rotted. I think it depends heavily on what type of area you are in.

12. John The Hunter

John The Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We who hunt the north woods cannot even comprehend this question.