Looking For A Tractor

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Illinoishunter102, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys know of any websites/ places to look for used tractors. Im looking for something with about 35+ HP, mainly for food plots and other non-heavy duty tasks. Also, any manufacture over the other? I like Kubota, as well as Massey Ferguson or even Ford. What do you guys think?

2. RoyC

RoyC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know you are a little far away from Al but we have a classified publication that comes out here once a week that has a farm section in it. You can also see it online at thebulletinboard.com. I have a New Holland 1920 that I have been using for over 10 years and it works great for food plots, not too large but enough power to pull a 6' bush hog, rototiller and hd disc. I also have a buddy that has a Kubota MX5100 and that is a very nice tractor, a little too pricey for me though.

3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  4. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my Kubota B7510 a couple years ago for under $10,000.00 with a mower and tiller it was $14,500.00

Not sure what your budget is. The sites Greg listed are a good start :deer:

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Craigslist is usually a good place to start. I bought a Alice Chalmers WD45, 5' Buhler tiller, 5' box blade, 6' straight blade, 2 bottom plow, 5' 3pt disk, and a single gang disk for $3000. I could have sold that tractor for $2000, but I sold it to my father inlaw for $1500 and kept all the attachments myself.

6. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty jealous of Pat's set-up, so I want to get a tiller attachment for a 1953 Farmall H tractor. Does anyone know if the tiller attachmnets you can buy at the farm stores can be used on older tractors or does it take quite a bit of fitting?

7. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:

If you have a 540 PTO and 3pt hitch, you should be fine. If you have a 1000 PTO, you can buy an adapter, but remember that the PTO shaft will be turning twice as fast as what a tiller is designed for. I don't think a 53' would have a 3pt unless someone has put one on aftermarket.

I'm pretty happy w. my set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
  9. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Skywalker, what model tractor do you have? It looks nice. And thanks everybody for the help!

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    It's a Bobcat CT230. It's a 30 Hp w. about 22 hp to the PTO, it has a hydrostatic drive which is great for loader work. It's basically the same tractor as a Kioti, made by Daedong a Korean company. It has done just about everything I've asked of it.

11. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Around here you can find Ford 8 and 9N's all day long for anywhere from $1500-$2500. I have thought about buying one in the future but, not sure if it is capable of doing what I want it too. Mostly what you guys are using them for along with some driveway scraping and bush hogging. What are you guys opinions on these little tractors ?

12. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dad has a 8N and loves it uses it for brush hogging and moving snow. We have a plow for it but use my tiller now. It did a good job when we did use it.

13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a New Holland TT60. It does everything I need to take care of quite a few acres. Mowing, disking, plowing, seeding, fencing, etc. I bought a new one for less than I could buy an older John Deere. 5 year warranty. It's not fancy, but it does the job.

Attached Files:

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch,

Can I be nosey and ask what something like this goes for? You can PM me if you would like.

I presume it's 60hp which is more than I would ever need. What does a NH 30 hp compact run?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  15. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    My dad still has an 8N. We did all of our plots, driveway scraping, log skidding, etc., with it and a good set of chains before my dad got his JD990. Great little tractor.

16. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you have any kind of hills, 4-wheel drive is nice. I have some super hills on my property and the 4-wheel drive makes it up no problem. It also helps smaller tractors do harder work (dirt work and plowing snow).

17. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutley. Side hills during spring planting got a little tricky in the 8N. The JD handles it no problem.

18. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not nosey at all. I bought it new in 2008 I believe and with adding remote hydraulics it was around $17,000. It is near 60 hp. I just looked up some 40 to 45 horse models of the same on Tractorhouse.com and you can buy one of those on there with few hours for around $10K and I believe you would still have warranty. Mine has been a great tractor and is really easy on diesel.

19. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have much experience on the older tractors. That is why I opted for a new one. I did pretty well. I could probably sell my tractor for just about as much as I payed for it. They had some great promotions as Bobcat was just introducing their Compact tractor line. I really enjoy having the hydrostatic transmission. It makes loader work so smooth. You loose some HP at the PTO by having a hydrostat though. The only problem I have with my tractor is my lack of implements. There are so many, and I only have a few:(

20. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not going to lie to you, mine was North of 35K. It was a new 2010 NH 3045 (45 hp). However, I bought it with a back hoe attachment (one of the more costly implements), a fully hydraulic Land Pride rear blade, had all 4 tires loaded with rim guard and had 3 sets of rear remotes added. The remotes are great. They make it possible to adjust most things from the seat of the tractor.