Looking for a new pse?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ILL BUCK Jr, Dec 29, 2011.

1. ILL BUCK Jr

ILL BUCK Jr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What would be the best pse for a 14 year old?

2. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Does it have to be a PSE?

3. ILL BUCK Jr

Dislikes Received:
    Ya my dad said they r faster for my draw weight and it has more let off to help my shooting

4. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'm not familiar with all the youth models available right now, but I'm not sure that is entirely true. If you pigeon hole yourself into just looking at PSEs, you might miss out on a great bow by another maker.

5. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    pse- piece of s*** equipment.. IMO

6. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whoa! Easy on the kid. He's just asking for help.

7. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i think he should be lookin into the mission craze, although i've heard a lot of people on here that really like the PSE Stinger

8. ILL BUCK Jr

Dislikes Received:
    i have a mission maniac and i dont really like the craze

9. ILL BUCK Jr

Dislikes Received:
    i can also pull 50 pounds

10. TannerDean22

TannerDean22 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i would say the PSE Stinger 3g it's a awesome bow

11. Foxbaybuckman

Foxbaybuckman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a PSE Stinger 3G and after just a few days I absolutely love it. However mine is a 70 lb draw so I'm not sure how the lighter draw models are.

12. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As always on these discussions, shoot as many bows as you can, and let the bow pick you. Shoot a Mission, a PSE, a Bowtech, Diamond, etc. Try to narrow your search, but take your time. Plan a couple trips to the pro shop, and just narrow your search the first time there, don't pick the bow. Buy a release and use it on the bows you test shoot. Again, take your time and enjoy the process.

Good Luck!!

13. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd look at the adult line in PSE. I've got the dream season and love it.

14. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you not like your Maniac? Unless your going to buy a "high end" PSE your gonna be downgrading. (IMHO)

15. eagles8804

eagles8804 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is VERY good advice. When I was 13 my stepdad felt bad about ruining the bow he had previously bought me (he tried to adjust the strings without a bowpress by loosening the limbs little by little and finally they just fell apart) so he bought me a browning bow (not even sure what it was..) but it was a YOUTH bow and the 27" draw length didn't cut it for my 29 3/4" that i grew to the next year. I didn't get another bow until this year when I bought myself the BowMadness XS. (I'll tell you more about that in a minute...) If he would have just bought me an adult bow right there thiat whole mess couldve been avoided.

Now about the BowMadness XS... It's a monster in a short, compact bow. I have it maxed at 60# (i wanted the 70# but they were out of them at the time so I just got the 60#, not much different except for 10lbs in draw weight). This bow is super fast, super quiet and super deadly. I would recommend for you to use a lighter arrow until you can draw heavier weights, right now my arrows weigh around 425 grains when fully assembled for hunting. Launched at over 300 FPS with a good bone-splitting broadhead and you have a bow that can take down any big game animal (well not ANY but unless you're hunting rhinos or elephants, this should get the job done). I am not demanding that you buy this bow, but I think it would be great for you to have considering it has about 5 full inches of draw length adjustments in 1/2" increments which would allow you to have this bow for a long time. Also, the short axel-to-axel length of this bow is great for your smaller frame, spot and stalk hunts and shooting from a treestand (this will allow you to shoot almost straight down). Look into this bow and you will not be disappointed. However I would look into the 50-60 lbs version for you, this way you can have this bow for a long time and not outgrow it. Also, don't get too into draw weight, 40lbs is enough to kill a deer, I can draw back 80, but to me there is no point, 60 I draw back extremely smoothly and after let-off its almost like holding air. But be warned, this bow's cam is AGGRESSIVE, meaning it will want to shoot, FAST. You can not let up on the string at all or it will want to take off. This is what creates a fast bow however and once you learn to handle it you should be more than okay. Good luck and have fun!

P.S. The XS has an 8 inch brace height, making it EXTREMELY forgiving.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  16. ILL BUCK Jr

Dislikes Received:
    what does that mean EXTREMELY forgiving

17. ILL BUCK Jr

Dislikes Received:
    that was the one my dad wants to get me because it is a xs

18. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You haven't said your draw length yet but another thing nice about the new adult PSEs are that you get 15lbs of weight adjustment. That means you can take a 60lb bow and get it down to 45lb. So as long as you have at least a 25" draw that pretty well puts you in anything they make and you can probably hunt anything in North America with in the next few year as you build strength. Excluding maybe Moose and Bear but don't quote me on that.

From looking at both Mathews and PSE I would say on average the PSE are a tiny bit faster than what Mathews or Mission has to offer but your talking probably less than 5-10FPS. Not going to make a difference in the real world. Go shoot whatever you can find. Bear, PSE, Mathews, Mission, Bowtech, Diamond, probably a couple I'm leaving out. They all make good bows.

What he meant by forgiving is that the bow doesn't tend to exaggerate imperfections in form. Some bows can be really finicky and really be hard to shoot consistently well. I think most people look for a brace height of 7+ inches. The shorter the brace height the harder a bow is to shoot consistently in general. But the only way for you to know is go shoot. Have fun and good luck.

19. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have any idea of what your draw length is? That would help us out a little more. I like PSE and thats what I have now (well after today I may not) but, I am going to a Hoyt soon. Speed is great but, I want smooth, light, quiet and solid to shoot now. You get all that and speed in a lot of the new bows. The Bow madness XS is one I have shot and it is pretty nice. As stated though once you draw it, you can't creep with it.

20. coyotetrappermo

coyotetrappermo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First off PSE stands for crap? LOL I don't think so. There are plenty of people shooting PSE's and they do quite well with them. Alot of it is confidance in what you shoot not brand x,y or z. No 1 company has a lock on performance that is a fact. Many factors go into bow selection and yes I shoot PSE because of the quaility, the performance I'm looking for from a bow, the great warranty if ever needed and the price points. Sure there are more exspensive bows on the market does not make them any better, just means they spend far more on advertising and there R&D might cost them more as well.

I would look at the PSE XS madness I have a new 2012 model and love it. A great tree stand or blind bow compact, fast and decent on noise. Plenty of bows to choose from for sure. I like NO creep anyone shooting with a release I don't know why one would want creep, to me like a long range rifle trigger I want it to break crisp with No creep and love that aspect of the XS, when the pin is settled stroke the release trigger and makes for smaller groups at longer rnages for me. The XS is a fairly forgiving bow as well. Good luck get something that fits you and you really like and it should serve you well.