Looking For a Gun Safe

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by jmbuckhunter, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Enlighten me. What to look for? What do I need? What don't I need? Just been keeping them locked up in a basement closet too long.

I have a $250 credit at Costco and they handle Cannon and Rhino Safes. But I don't have to buy there if these aren't great quality. I'll use it for guns, bows, camera equipment, important papers and ammo.

http://www.costco.com/executive-vaults.html

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ha. Good timing. Ivan hoping to buy at least a 14 long gun safe with my Xmas bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you find the perfect safe, let me know. We've been looking at them for the past year. Costco's are decent enough quality but we're not real fond of the layout inside them. They seem kind of like tents. (you know, a four man tent really only sleeps four people if they're pretty fond of each other.. lol.) So a 24 gun safe will only hold 24 guns if they don't have scopes and you arrange them just so...

I saw one on sale at Rural King (a Stack-on) that was really nice... good layout where you could pull out just about any gun without have to rearrange the others and pockets on the door. Unfortunately, it wouldn't fit in the prius and the day I was there was the last day of the sale. I see they are on sale again so I may go back and look to see what they have in stock. (60 miles away. :( )

We have multiple smaller safes that we use now. A less than ideal set-up.

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ..... Of course all that was hypothetical....

Any guns we had fell in the river. No guns here!!

5. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man..........................Looks like no one is willing to admit to having a gun safe. Or as Costco calls them "Executive Vaults", whatever.

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will say get a good de-humidifier to go in your safe.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  7. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You too? Seems to be happening a lot lately.

8. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    X2
    Also I'd avoid electrical locks and make sure you get something much bigger than what you need! If your going to get one you might as well just buy 1 and not waste money on something you WILL out grow. Also the gun counts are kinda terrible, they might fit but getting to one in the back is a hassle. So basically if your going to get one, invest in a safe you can have for life. Double the capacity if not more of what you own and the more shelf space the better!

9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a fairly inexpensive Winchester brand that I got for a steal from Tractor Supply. It's good for what I need it for, but it's not a "lifetime" safe. I knew we would be moving in the next couple of years, and only got enough safe to shoe horn the guns I have today into. It is secure enough that someone is going to have to work pretty hard at getting into it, and it's lagged into the cement in my basement.

With that said, I would likely pick a Cannon. IIRC, they have a lifetime replacement if it's damaged due to fire or someone trying to break into it and if they damage in the process. I looked at a lot of them that I really would have liked but just couldn't justify knowing where it had to go in my house (basement), the process to get it down there, and the fact that we were planning on moving in a few years.

My only suggestion is to get more (bigger) safe than you think you will need. Mine fits my guns, but there are a ton of personal belongings I wish I could fit in there.

10. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Cannon 24 or 28 gun safe, can't remember. Mine is older and doesn't have the dehumidifier they have in the newer ones but my basement isn't damp and the guns haven't had any rust issues. I have had no issues with the safe so far. If you put it in the basement don't call me unless it is during hunting season and I can stay for a week;)

11. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking at upgrading, too. I only have an 8 gun Homak safe right now, ad it's not very heavy duty at all. If you have a grinder with a cut off wheel, you would be in it in no time. I'm looking for something heavy duty, with the dehumidifier and interior lights and the whole 9 yards. I'll let you know when I decide :lol:

12. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get one 50% bigger than you need. Fire proof, dial lock. I forget the brand name I have but its one of the more common ones. I'm looking into those rod storage systems that allow you to store more guns than the safe is rated for.

13. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a Fatboy Jr by Liberty. So far I've got 12 or so guns, ammo for all, gun cleaning supplies and 2 bows in it without any room issues. I bought mine special order from Lowe's, I work for the Corporate Office, and got it 10% over cost. It's heavy, not something you could move yourself. I had them deliver it, you can usually talk them into doing it for free. I just checked and they are calling it "Centurion" now, on Lowes.com. Let me know if you'd be interested in picking one up from Lowe's I will try to help you out any way I can.

14. WV Hunter

WV Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto what rybo said. Get one twice the size you think you need. Christine said it...when they rate # of guns, its basically like a shotgun with nothing on it. Get scopes, slings, etc...you run out of room fast. I would get a dial lock, sargent and greenleaf is the best. Get a dehumidifer (goldenrod - they are cheap) and get an easy out interior. I don't have one, what a mistake that was. Its a total PIA getting guns out of the back of the safe. Most folks keep other things in the safe, so if you can get an easy out interior AND shelves, that is the ticket. I have an American Security, they are upper tier and American made. There are alot of good safes, some big name - others not. The heavier steel, the better. The more locking rods, the better. Fireproof is preferred, 30 mins minimum. You can option up or down, but the bottom line, the safe is really to keep your guns (and valuables) from being stolen more than burned up in a fire. Honestly most are probably good enough to do the job, others are much better. Great investment for sure.