Looking at a new release

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ash d, Jun 30, 2019.

1. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After some research and shopping around I found this release. For the most part the reviews have been good. Does anyone else use this release and what are your thoughts on it? Image1561900027.280148.jpg also found it $20 cheaper on amazon than anywhere else.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

Sota likes this.
  2. redpresto66

redpresto66 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shot this release for a year before I bought a Stan SX3 Quattro. Loved the fold back feature. Only problem I had with it, and the wrist release I owned before this one, is the strain on the wrist. Too loose and it changed my anchor point. Too tight and it just hurt doing nothing. And then there’s the clothing issue. Lots of clothing now comes with a “hole” for wrist straps. Too much head space for me. Plus my Stan stays attached to my D loop. We hunt from ground blinds though. If you’re spot and stalking this release will be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Overall, it's a good release. I shot both models for a couple of years before going to a Tru-Ball Boss-X 360 thumb release.

I had two major complaints about it:

1) I found that when I get hot, my wrist swells and I can't find a good position for the buckle. Seems it's either too tight, or too loose. The holes also stretched over time. This is true for me with any wrist release.

2) The hook had an issue with locking. Had a couple of time where when I went to draw back, it didn't lock in well enough and it'd go off causing it to launch an arrow. Not the most confidence inspiring.

While I did have a couple of complaints about it, it does have some good qualities. I like that it was easy to hook into the D-loop, and it didn't require my release to "click" like the one I use now does. It folds back, unlike some others. The release is very smooth.

I wound up giving mine away to a friend of mine who was getting into bowhunting. He enjoyed it, and as far as I know, he's still using it a couple of years after I gave it to him.

If possible, I'd recommend going to an archery shop and see if you can test a few different ones. Or, if you have friends with different releases, test them out. But, if you do go to a local shop and find something you like, please purchase from them. :)

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've used this model exclusively since 2013. Not a single failure and I've probably launched 10k+ arrows with my original (I bought a second one as a backup when I went out west.)

I much prefer them than the traditional double jaw because it's very easy to hook on to the loop just by feel, keeping your eye on the game. Have the d-loop cocked a bit off center to your draw side and it's all feel.

5. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is hard to say, because different people have different experiences. I can say I use this Cobra Moment Premier Series Hook Infinite Adjust and it has worked flawlessly over a couple hundred arrows. Get two of the one you like and put one in you back pack. One could break, you could forget your primary or drop one.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Theana9

Theana9 Guest

+1
    [​IMG]

7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you like robots?

entropyfx likes this.
  8. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used this release for the last 3 years, only issue I have is D-Loop wear. It is very quick to hook up, lots of adjustments and wrist strap is comfortable. The fold back feature is nice and it tucks out of the way when I need it to. Like anything new, there is an adjustment period but the learning curve is not bad; thankfully I had a good backstop the first few times I used it, the trigger was very light compared to what I had been using.
    good luck with your decision

9. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a Tru Fire in the past and it was good. What I didn't like about it was the trigger pull was long and didn't seem to adjust well. Ended up going to this....

https://www.amazon.com/TRUGLO-ACTIV...chery+release&qid=1565905967&s=gateway&sr=8-4

The trigger is a bit "touchy" but you can get used to it. also it has a twist style wrist strap so you can tighten it in very small increments. It doesn't fold back like the Tru Fire but does fold left or right which I have grown accustom to. It's also $20 cheaper.

I'd consider taking your bow to your local archery shop and see if they'll let you shoot some arrows with different releases. I've done this at mine and it was a big help to decide what worked well for me.

10. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used a Tru Fire Walmart Special for years. Very light trigger Surprises me every time it goes off. Better keep your index behind the trigger so you dont punch yourself in the face when you draw. Inexpensive. I like the jaws vs the hook Nice velcro wrist strap rather then a buckle To each his own. It's a personal preference.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I 100% agree with your choice I have one, when you get it broke in if it develops a squeak when you draw, mineral oil with make it quiet.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never ever buy a release with velcro, has to be the most unnatural sound in the woods.