Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Looking Ahead To 2016

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by cole62895, Dec 19, 2015.

1. cole62895

cole62895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So the 2015 season is just about to come to an end for me. And unless something changes in my remaining three hunts, I will be eating tag soup and bumming some venison off my brother throughout the year. We were seeing a lot of deer through the season, but as soon as rifle season hits, our property becomes more or less a barren wasteland. I have not seen a buck while in the stand since the first weekend of October. The property is mostly farm land, so food is not an issue in the early season, and it remains fairly abundant throughout the season. The issue I think is happening, is that all the food is out in the open in the fields. Even our Oak trees and apple trees are along field edges.
    My thoughts are that we have two rifle blinds with two shooting lanes at each that are pretty clear and would be pretty simple to get planted. about ten yards wide and maybe eighty yards long. There are also a couple other small areas that I think would be good places to plant a micro plot. The only thing is, these are in the woods and there will not be very much sun getting to the forest floor throughout the day. Maybe a couple hours throughout the day. Has anyone ever had any issues with planting food plots in highly shaded areas?
    My idea was to plant the ones that we would hunt around with a mix for the season, and then set two back in the thick part of the property with some late season mix that they could feed throughout the winter or as long as they last in relative comfort.

2. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had good luck with ryes and clovers in thick hardwoods. Tends to require a little more soil prep...but certainly worth while.

3. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Clover and Oats will be your best bet, and it's a great mix.
    If you are wanting to plant spring plots, plant the clover in the spring. Then, about 30-45 days before the first frost just spread the oats straight into the exsiting clover. It will be a bang up plot.

4. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100% with this...the only thing that I have a problem with is when I plant Oats....the dang turkeys have a field day....I really like this idea...this way you have some cover for the oats so that they can get started before the turkeys eat em....

5. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's the idea! Also, the clover will keep the seed bed moist to allow for good seed germination.