longbow vs. recurve

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by octhereicome, Feb 10, 2011.

1. octhereicome

octhereicome Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what are the pros and cons?
    ANY info will be appreciated! THanks!!

2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Recurve Pro

- Typically faster
    - If you're coming from a compound background, you might find the recurve grip an easier transition.

LB Pro

- Typically quieter

Undoubtedly, there's more. But, more than anything else, it boils down to personal preference.

3. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    my dad is deciding on a recurve or longbow...he wants a long bow but i told him to shoot my 2 recurves first =] Thanks

4. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Longbow is generally more stable and forgiving for the new shooter. At the sacrafice of speed (sometimes)

The long shelf on a recurve sometimes makes it a tad more finicky to tune.

By the time you get a recurve quiet as a longbow, you added so much wieght that its usually a wash on speed.

But a recurve can be shorter with out stacking due to string angle. That said, I own a zipper recurve, that I love.

5. Burnie

Burnie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot both. Recurve will be a little faster, but louder and more violent in you hand.

A longbow is smoother, a tad slower, less hand shock, and much quieter.

6. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    we both shoot both of the bows, i shoot a cheap sage recurve for bowfishing and a nicer martin rebel recurve for throwing targets and shooting them....i also shoot a heratige legacy reflex deflex and my dad just bought a bear montana thats sitting in the box for him to open when hes home

7. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for all the info guys!

8. j870sm

j870sm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking to get a trad bow. From what I just read I am totally wrong about the bow styles. It seems like I need to be looking at a long bow to start with. Have no clue but am going to try to shoot a couple of each before I decide. I want to get good equipment up front but I have no idea what brands to look for. Sure am interested but around here there are not many shops carrying these and the ones that do the selection is limited.

9. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, if you want to put up with the $1400 price tag AK Bowhunter Supply has a special offer where they'll let you shoot one of their new carbon nano longbows and return it for the cost of the shipping if you don't like it. If you decide to keep it, they pay the shipping.

10. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I have learned. I can shoot a 200 dollar martin just as good as a 1500 dollar morrison. One might be faster or better looking, but the problem with new trad hunters is the indian behind the bow.

When I got into trad, I bet I went thru 15 bows trying to find the right one. What I needed to do was learn how to instintive shoot. I remember spending hours upon hours arrow tuning, nock tuning. I should have working on my release blank bale shooting. But I was busy trying to find the perfect arrow, or the perfect carbon with brass wieghts.

11. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The problem for me and I'm guessing other people too Is there's hardly any traditional archery shops around who sell these bows. I feel the frustration j870sm. Like Kodiak said there's at least one manufacturer who'll send one down to see If you'll like It. I'd like to see more traditional bowyers send one to someone without them spending any money at all. If they then like It they could send the check or send It back paying the shipping.

12. Buckman

Buckman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Recurves, Longbows, Hybrids??

The recurve is designed to provide a little more speed because of the extreme bend at the tip. This allows more limb to be involved in the shooting process. Making a smoother and typically faster shot. A longbow is a very simple bow that what you see in the limbs when drawn back, thats all your getting for energy. The Hybrid is a mix between the two. Most longbows have a definite "D" shape to them. The hybrid has a slight deflex in the limbs to provide a little more performance like the recurve. No matter what bow you shoot it should never give you hand shock or elbow shock. A good shooting traditional bow should be smooth, quiet, and feel good in your hand. This makes for a good match between shooter and bow. There are a lot of Bowyers that can make custom bows to fit everything your looking for in a trad bow and more. Rerbows.com is a great start to look at a custom traditional bow. Whatever you do make sure the bow fits, in other words, smooth, quiet, no shock, not to heavy of draw, and most likely over 60 inches for recurve and 62" for longbow/hybrids. These are just ballpark figures on a 28-30 draw length. One last thing, when comfortable enough sometimes a longbow/hybrid is nice because you can get by without using a stringer. This is nice for hunting purposes. Just ideas, Good Luck

13. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know the new hybrids have a lot less handshock than the English style longbows, but in my experience longbow have much more hand shock than recurves. Selfbows will jar your teeth in most cases.

Let's not [​IMG]

14. Buckman

Buckman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For the most part a well built traditional bow should give very little if any hand shock. If your getting shock I would try a different bow or shoot a heavier arrow. Whatever you decide make sure your enjoying what you shoot. Good Luck

15. ACH

ACH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to this site, but it is really personal preference.
    I've shot both in the last 30 years, and really either one will work. A recurve can be tuned to be very quiet....it may mean switching to a Dacron string [depending on the bow], but it can be done.