Long Time Coming

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by NEW61375, Apr 20, 2015.

1. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm fairly quiet on the forums these days but am pretty pumped about the upcoming season so I wanted post a couple pics. I've been hunting all over VA for many years and am very fortunate to have access to some great land both public and private but my favorite piece is our family land which is an 87 acre old farm/homestead. I'm just about 40 and have been hunting here my whole life and while we've killed plenty of deer and had some success food plotting we've never really "managed" it. Well last year my brother retired from the Air Force and moved back to VA. Finally with my brother, Dad, and myself we have enough manpower/resources to make some things happen.

Over the past few weeks we've prepped a couple of open plots and a couple of kill plots down in the woods. We have a couple more spots we're waiting on soil sample for but we hope to have them ready for a fall planting. I will try and post some plot progress/info, better pics, and an aerial. Hopefully the weather cooperates!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Always good to see people working hard and making progress on things like this. Looking forward to the updates!

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man that looks like some awesome soil there.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good bro!

5. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great so far!

6. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My situation is that i have a 5 year old that thinks that one can plant crops in Wisconsin every month. He's like a kid in a candy store to get on the tractor or 4 wheeler and work the soil. In my case i am blessed with a family farm that has all the perfect situations to grow big deer. My son loves to shed hunt and grow anything. Now we just need the weather to cooperate so i can get more planted. I have 4 1/2 acres in but there's much more to go.

7. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Couple more, making progress on our "back field" plot and pops on the tractor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on pulling things together and getting it done. Hope you have a great season, enjoy being able to work with the family while you can, you'll find those memories are worth more than can be said.

9. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Kill plot, shot from the ladder stand. We'll be able to open up the canopy a little more in the center/right by cutting out the tops of 2 of the big trees there, not sure if that'll happen this year. Probably have to do it after season that way we can burn it all up with the other piles of cut branches, brush, etc. that are in there. That should open up the plot even more and help the soil but I'm not too thrilled about the idea of being the guy climbing & cutting tops though ;)

[​IMG]

10. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    This a panoramic of it where you can see the access path to the right. I mess with the color on the editor just because it shows the sunny areas better and I'm bored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoy the experience...enjoy nature...enjoy seeing things grow.

For me, even though i can start up some really big pieces of equipment and work 100's of acres of land in fast order. There is nothing more rewarding for me than to bring out the small stuff, work on the food plots and enjoy whatever mother nature puts before me.