lone wolf stand quiver

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Robm1093, Feb 20, 2015.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. trial153

Dislikes Received:
  3. trial153

Dislikes Received:
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The Alpha Tech seat is retailing for $30 and if memory serves the Hunt Comfort was in the $55 range. That's almost 1/2 the price.

The issue with the original Hunt Comfort seats is that they simply couldn't get them made in time from HC and also they were too pricey so naturally everyone complained. The new AT seat is basically the same as the standard LW seat except it's 3" thick.

Personally I still prefer the seat that comes with the stand but that's just me. Never had a comfort issue with them.

As for the Stick Quiver I was able to get out and try it on my last hunt of the season and must say I did find it a lot quicker for packing out at night but not necessary for packing in. I'm with Heckler in that I'll have to use it a few more times to really get a proper feel for how well it's going to work. Overall I like the concept I just feel like it's going to take a few uses to get a system down pat that's quick and quiet.

5. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cant justify the price quite yet

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me, packing up in the dark takes the longest. Getting the sticks snapped together, all the straps wrapped just right so it packs nicely, etc., is why I am considering buying one of these. I use my climber 90% of the time though because I find packing up my assault and sticks at the end of the night kind of a hassle. But I would like to start using them more.

7. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    The reduction in price makes sense....I am with you though the stock seat is almost a better option.

8. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a decent look at it

image.jpg

9. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    A few people asked if it will fit XOP, I will not...Its not deep enough to get past the I beam.

image (1).jpg

10. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Here is the text my buddy just sent in regards to the Stick quiver

I think it's actually a pretty good idea. Stacking the sticks the way lone wolf instructs you to pushes them way out and the center of gravity is off. More than 4 Sticks forget about it stopped carrying them like that after my first hunt. I always just bungied them flat but they would move around and slide all over. The sticks look like they would work well in the quiver. They are a bit hard to snap onto the stand post though. I will see how they work in the field in the fall...

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    They're definitely a little stiff snapping onto the seat post but they need to be so they don't fall off when you're walking.

And I agree with laying the sticks flat and strapping them to the stand. I've been doing that for years now. Stacking them vertically not only messed w/the center of gravity but also caused them to stick out further and get caught up more easily when walking through brush, under trees, etc.

I think the stick quiver is going to be a hit once people really start figuring out a plan for how to best use it in real world situations.

12. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts are about the same after getting to mess with mine yesterday.

The spacing on the quiver could improve. It feels clustered with 4 sticks, cant imagine using more like some other guys. I would also still want a bungee around the sticks once they're in the quiver.

Some haven't had this problem, but you'll benefit if you have stealth strips on your sticks. My sticks were always hard to put together and take apart. Now that's a non issue with the quiver.

I still like the idea, just need to do a little more fine tuning.

13. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the idea and wonder why they didn't come up with it sooner but, I would like it attached to a strap so you can throw it over your shoulder as you climb. Hang the first two sticks from the ground then sling the other two on your back and climb up to hang them, then pull up the stand.

Been wanting to make something like that myself. As mentioned I spend a lot of time fumbling with the stick to hang them and then pack them out.

14. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I believe just another quarter to a half inch or so between slots would have done it . This would allowed you to stagger every other stick without the feet banging into each other and giving you more clearance if you are wrapping your straps with the buckle around each stick. I am using ropes and this resolves the buckle issue.

I have found so far that two sticks up, 2 down works best for me. Basically I want to be able to bang them in slot without having to re-position them or making a bunch of noise.

I agree, bungee strap is still required. Catch a branch with a stick and they will be on the ground if you don't secure them.

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saw the picture you posted. I will definitely be using that for reference. Seemed like every way I had it was noisy or just wasn't going to work.

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I made loops with 550 cord on my harness that are at my hips. I mount the first two sticks from the ground. I then slide the foot of each stick through the loops and let one hang on each side of my hips. They are easily accessible, aren't in the way, and no risk of the banging on anything.

So the process is from start to finish: Daisy chain bow and backpack with two pull ropes. Set first two sticks from the ground >Place stand on back > > hook pull rope onto harness > Slide a foot of the remaining two sticks into the 550 loop on each side of my hips > Attach linemens rope and climb tree > set the two remaining sticks > hang stand > set tree strap > Lock into tree strap > climb onto stand > Pull backpack > Screw in hook for pack if required > screw in bow holder > Place pack on hook > pull bow and place on hook > knock arrow and remove quiver from bow. > Put on release > Sit down and wait for a bruiser to show up. :p

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  17. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Tactical tree stand hanging right there.....

18. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

and by that time I'm a sweaty mess:) How about you?

19. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Check !!

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It certainly is work.... I am a mess at the beginning of every season. After the first couple weeks I am good to go!

Need to keep those legs in shape for sure! The further you space the steps out the more work it is. Requires you to use a lot more of your upper body. Space them out without big gaps in between sticks and you can walk right up the tree. Holding onto the lineman belt will prevent you from pulling yourself up with your arms. Requires a little more faith in your equipment. but its less of a work out for me using all legs.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015