Lone Wolf guys

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by smctitan, Aug 8, 2012.

1. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried to look around on the forum for this, but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I want to purchase a LW hang on stand for this upcoming season. I know a lot of guys on here go mobile with them but it would be more of a permanent one for me (at least this season). I have a chance to buy either the Assault or the Alpha. The Assault I can get for cheaper locally. My question is the sizing of the platforms. I am 6'5 and 230 lbs. The Alpha has a slightly larger platform size at 30"x19.5" than the Assault at 26"x19". I'm hoping there are a couple larger guys on here that can answer this. I'm not worried about the weight capacity because both are at 350 lbs which is more than plenty with all my gear and clothes. Are the extra 4" worth holding out on the Alpha or can I comfortably get away with the Assault?

Thanks!

Sean

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the seats are now the same size. If you are going to leave it up, go with the Alpha. I have a Assault and love it, but there is definitely more room in the Alpha.

My other LW is an Elite. That thing is HUGE. It goes up in a tree and stays for the season. The platform is gianormous. You might be able to find one on ebay somewhere. It's worth looking into.

3. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Fitz! I will check out the Elite. I would eventually like to go mobile with whichever one I end up getting. I guess I should have cleared up my question more. I meant to specifically ask about the platform size. I believe you are correct about the seat size being the same. You are pretty tall right? Any problem with the platform being 4" shorter?

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I believe the general censuses would be to go with the alpha if you are looking for comfort. I think that is best for you height/weight wise. I would also recommend look at purchasing the comfort tech seat.

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I love the sized of the Alpha. Its light and yet you still have room to move around a bit. The Assault would be a bit small for myself.

If you plan on going mobile, the Elite would be too big of a stand, IMO. Hence why Fitz hangs his and leaves it.

6. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Just did a quick google search and every place seems to be Out of Stock on the Elite. My guess is its been discontinued by LW? I'm hoping the Alpha works out. I will know by tomorrow morning. It was my first choice and I wasn't even considering the Assault until I saw one locally on craigslist for a good price. Thanks for the input guys. Any other responses would also be appreciated because I won't be making a final decision today.

Sean

7. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an Assault great stand, but wish I'd of went with a Alpha. This coming from a guy thats 5'7" 150 lbs and rather nibble. That extra couple inches in platform size is worth the price difference imo I think the back of the Alpha platform that butts up to the tree has a wider v then the Assault too.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, the Elite was temporarily discontinued. Honestly, it just wasn't a huge seller. I can say if you do find one, they're heavy and a bear to put up, but once you get them in place they are NICE. It's like hunting out of a La-Z-Boy. I'm hearing rumors they may come back next year, but that's not confirmed yet.

As for your question about the Alpha versus Assault - at 6'5", you're going to want the Alpha. I'm only 5'11" and I can definitely tell the difference in comfort between the two. I generally only use my Assault as a "run and gun" stand, or the cameraman set that we pull in and out, and weight and size are keys for that.

Get the Alpha, and pick up a set of foot rests for it. The new castings are all pre-drilled for them and they bolt right on. They will make your sits much more comfortable.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The new Assaults (as of last year) have a much wider "V" than the old ones, they are a lot more stable on bigger trees.

10. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an Assualt that I bought last year and I use it a ton. My friend also has an Alpha that I have used a couple times too. If I were to do it again I would go with the Alpha. The weight difference is barely noticeable, but the size difference definately is. Just a little more room can make a world of difference in comfort.

Either way you can not go wrong, they are rock solid stands and you pay for what you get. Enjoy it when you get it. I know I did. It helped me to kill my buck last year by being mobile and quiet.

11. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. These are exactly the answers I was looking for and kind of confirms what I was thinking.

12. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Yeah, I'm 6'2". I would never dream of run & gun with the Elite. I'm glad I have and Assault, but my next stands will all be Alphas.

I don't have an issue with the platform, but the seat on the Assault can be rough for all day sits. It's still great for packing in.

If I were in your spot I'd get the Alpha, as it is the most versatile.

13. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 6'2'' 215lbs and the Alpha is OK but you certainly don't want to be on it w/o a harness. You've got room but none extra. IMO

Do buy the comfort seat but the foot pegs don't really work. IMO The platform really isn't big enough for them. They really need to make foot pegs that hang out over the platform a bit more.

With that said, it anyone wants some LW foot pegs I'll sell mine to ya.

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You shouldn't be in any stand without one :busted:

15. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    It arrived today. So pumped to get it up Friday morning.

Attached Files:

16. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! i was super happy when mine came in the mail. but i couldn't use it right away in my yard because cabelas shipped the sticks with my other stuff a few days later. but i love it and like everyone says it packs great!

17. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    I have to wait a while until I can get the sticks so I'm just going to use screw-in steps for the time being. Its not ideal but we have private property and at least I can use it for a couple months. Can't wait for the sticks though!

18. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When are you getting the sticks?

19. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully the beginning of October.

20. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran