Lone Wolf Assault vs. Alpha

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by meatseeker, May 10, 2017.

?

Which do you prefer or Lone Wolf Alpha or Assault

1. Lone Wolf Assault

25.0%
  2. Lone Wolf Alpha

75.0%
  1. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am pretty much sold on getting one of these stands, but wonder which one is best? I like the lighter weight of the Assault, but am not sure about the platform size or how uncomfortable it would get on all-day sits

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've sat all day in both and the Alpha is certainly my preference if given the option. However if I was only getting a single stand to move around a lot during the season I would pick the Assault because it's lighter and more compact - which means it fits into tighter places when needed. If you plan on hanging and leaving it for days, weeks or months then the Alpha is the ticket.

SharpEyeSam and pick00l like this.
  3. KRAZO

KRAZO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a fan of my alpha. Assault platform just seems a tad small at 20'+. & I try not to put much pressure on the stand in the area they shaved off for the assault platform (back sides by the tree) it's nice to have that space to jockey around for a shot behind the tree. I'd suggest a comfort seat for all day.

4. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got the Alpha for the extra space. For all day sits, I'm packing in heavy anyway. Three pounds isn't making a huge difference for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Alpha. I like the larger platform for my long legs.

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went with the Alpha and I pack in/out a lot. It by far exceeded my expectations. Either way you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on how much you plan on moving it. I have one Assault and a bunch of Alphas. I much prefer the Alpha, but when I'm doing a run and gun setup where I'm carrying everything in and out the weight savings on the Assault is really nice. If I had to pick just one for my style of hunting it would likely be an Alpha as I usually only do a couple of run and gun sets a year now that I'm carrying the camera.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  8. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I pretty much have the same question? Interestingly, based on the answers, it seemed like the Assault with the added cushion is the more versatile option, but most seem to lean towards the Alpha. For 1 "do-it-most" hang-on, I'm leaning Assault (or XOP Vanish).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have both. I never leave the stand in the woods unless I plan to sit it again the next morning.

I use the Assault at least 90% of the time. It's really not that much smaller and it is easier to hang than the Alpha is.

A few years ago I swapped the seats on both of them out for the seats off of the Alphatech and would suggest this to others as well.

10. MissionOutdoors.Net

MissionOutdoors.Net Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using the Assault for a few years now and love it. I am typically a solo hunter/filmer, so I've got to be as light of weight as possible when hunting way back in the sticks. The size of the platform isn't that big but it works great for my needs, and the regular seat honestly is uncomfortable for me because of a bad back from roadside bombs, but the thicker seat is comfortable. I typically sit all day long no matter the time of the season even with my messed up back. I have no experience with the larger stand, but would bet it would also be a good option.

Planopurist likes this.
  11. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the Assault. The smaller platform never bothered me and I like the more compact size, lighter weight when hiking way back in.

TheHardWoods913 and Planopurist like this.
  12. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Alpha platform on my Hand Climber and the Assault platform on my hang on. Honestly love them both and I also pull all day sits with my Assault. I think it is all preference with what your comfortable with and also how big fo a guy you are honestly. I not a huge guy, I'm only 5'8 with a boot size of 9 so both platforms work well for me.

Coop and Planopurist like this.
  13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah my LW hand climber has the Alpha platform and my hang on was the Assault (like a dummy I sold it last year). I am 5'10" but have a size 12 boot size. But I just don't mind the smaller size. I used one of those Millennium micro-lite stands once last fall and didn't even mind that.