Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Lone Wolf Arrowhead Broadhead Test

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhuntr64, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've gotten a lot of requests to test this new head. Check it out.

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What a hunk of ****

3. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao2:Trial I guess you weren’t impressed.

trial153 likes this.
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It doesn't seem THAT bad. I would have liked to have seen the broadhead be resharpened so we had an idea of what the process looks like and how sharp you can get the blades after normal use (not the metal or concrete tests). I have no idea what the process of sharpening aluminum looks like or what the results would be. And with a single-piece fixed blade, that's pretty important to know.

IMO the "durability" portion of these tests looks like fun and gives us something to talk about, but they have no practical application and don't play into my overall opinion on the quality of the broadhead. Nothing on an animal is made of metal or concrete, so that's not a situation you'll ever encounter. I don't need my broadhead to withstand being shot through metal. I need it to slice through hair, hide, and organs.

Anyways, great video as always!

5. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    they should stick to treestands ..... I sure as hell wouldnt buy it ... much better heads out there ....

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    John I think you should start having tournament of champions style. Take 16 BH and do a show down. I would love to watch that.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Bowhuntr64 likes this.
  7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I see absolutely ZERO reason anyone would spend $ on this head.
    Another "gone in a year" head.

I can't forsee any new head built in the future that can better ones already out there.
    Same with bullets.

8. JPG

JPG Newb

Dislikes Received:
    True deer aren’t made out of metal. But lots of broadheads pass his durability test with flying colors. So why choose one that fails miserably? A broadhead that won’t hold a sharp edge is a poor choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Bowhuntr64 likes this.
  9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the sharp edge part of what you said. IMO, sharpness is a very underrated factor in a broadhead's overall effectiveness and much more important than a lot of the other features people tend to focus on. And I only need the head to be sharp one time. After it's done it's job, I don't care if it requires 30 seconds to touch it up or 5 minutes to resharpen it fully. Or if I throw it away and use a new one.

As for the durability, it's just not a super important factor in my broadhead decision. YES, I want a durable broadhead - one that can stand up to the punishment I'm going to put it through, which is shooting it into a deer. I just don't require that my broadheads withstand being shot into metal or concrete for the same reason I don't require my pickup truck to be able to crawl over giant boulders or mud bogs. Sure, those trucks look cool and it's something you can brag about, but since I'm not doing either of those things I don't find them to be a necessity.

10. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care if I can re-use a broad head either, but I heard these would be around $60 for 3pk. That might be way wrong, as I cant find them online.
    To me, a 10 dollar - single use broad head is acceptable... for 20 dollars a head, I'd really like to be able to use them again.

11. JPG

JPG Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Crazy off-road trucks are crazy expensive compared to an average pick up. A good durable broadhead will only run you around15$. Such as a qad exodus or a sevr. Why settle for a broad head that’s less durable when there’s better ones available for the same price or even cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you plan on shooting them into a concrete block you will certainly be able to re-use these heads.

13. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt Field edges most of the time, after a pass through, its not rare to hit a rock in the field.

14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Justin on the durability portion of these tests. Its fun to see, but in no way definitive factor for me. However, I think shooting through some form a solid medium is a good indicator of how the head may perform on bone. Any head, even the cheap heads from Wal Mart, will perform great on broadside deer where all you're pushing through is hide, maybe a rib bone, and organs. I do like to know if the head will stand up well enough when hitting a scapula or front shoulder bone in the event of a less that perfect shot.