Logging

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by oldnotdead, Mar 25, 2020.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    20200325_151310.jpg 20200325_151249.jpg Well it looks like he'll finally say yes to the logging...10 years late but what can I do.
    Today I went out to clear one logging road from junk trees I'd cut. Saw is out of commission so will have to wait on that. I did have my tape measure and checked out some maples. This will be difficult for I turkey hunt . Turkey here demand mature trees. So I'll be strict on diameters. Just one area I get buck and turkey from holds some really nice 18 to 26 diameter log maple. At a face high measurement.The logger won't be happy with my no oak cutting rules..and strictly no damage on oak. Lucky Over the years I've been clearing around them so that latter shouldn't be a problem.. I've cut a lot of fire wood logs last summer/winter and they do fire wood. Son best get his butt here or he can buy it from them. Been trying to get him to haul out all this wood for just gas and oil...he ordered wood from this logger. WTH ! 75$ a face cord.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Fix likes this.
  2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's crazy but kids love convenience

3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    It's his job he and hubby has been working 6-7 days a week for months and he has a house he gutted and is remodeling plus a summer construction business of his own. His partner isn't anything like Mom...so hey basically on his own in all that. She's a great mom,which is it .......

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Keep an eye on the logger they will "accidentally" take a tree or two, underestimate the volume of the loads as well.

5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Oh oh no not on this land. We logged 20 yrs ago. I called a bunch of loggers had each use a different colored paint and I walked the land with them. They all had to mark at roots and head high. Then I picked two perfect maples near house that weren't to be logged and had them give me there board foot estimate on each before leaving. Holy hell one was well over 100 board ft off on one 90 on the other. These were huge straight limbless trees to the very crown. I own a doyle scale. Talk about used car salesman. Some made me laugh out loud. Then I brought in the DEC foresters to give their opinion on the marking. All said and done I pushed for a cut and grade not on stump. 100 trees cut , payed logger, trucking out of their end and we bought a new JD with backhoe for cash.
    I knew we had many veneer logs at the time. They also cut down all tops.
    I took pics before and after each day they logged.
    My problem is neighbors logging trying to cut our trees. Several times there have been trees marked with giant blue NO CUT. Done by loggers

6. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I take you need to be with them when they do anything, did you do a contract? Was it like 50/50, they cut and haul,.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    No not when they did anything. The marking was to pin any issues in tree selection from the start. Also honesty. Amazing the info given in a casual conversation,if done correctly. Also by marking the root level there were all loggers paint at base of any tree cut. Avoiding " Ooppss " issues as Sota mentioned. Of course there was a contract. No actually it was 60 us 40 them and trucking and finding buyers was on their end not ours. Canada bought the logs. As I said I knew we had veneer logs thus my push to do cut and scale. Very rarely will you find a logger out here that does anything but stumpage. Though the guys we went with saw what I did.
    BTW hubby formal schooling Forrestry, mine was recreational land management.
    Loggers are use to dealing with clueless owners . Definite not with owners that have their own Doyle scale. Many are good guys but there are some not so much. Just like any trade from Auto to even surgeons to be honest . People need to be their own advocacy.

8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    BTW I'm like this with all things business
    ie ....We own several properties. I won't use a realtor and deal with the sellers realtors. Our last purchase was a bank buy they wanted nearly 70 thou. I researched and said to realtor offer cash 38. Realtor flipped said no way they except that. Hubby said offer I think 34. Bank came back 36

Before that it was 24 1/2 acres accessed for 1200 an acre. They wanted 20 thou. In the end I got it for 10 . 2 pieces before that , asking 1800 per acre, we got it 800 per. I love negotiations

9. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate the insights, I spoke with too loggers ranges on 175 acres was 50 k to 100 k. We were at 50,50. Haven’t done anything yet.
    My circumstances may be a bit different, steep areas.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums