Living in or around Raleigh, NC

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by pick00l, Jan 26, 2017.

1. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am doing some initial investigation about living in the Raleigh area. I may or may not have the opportunity to move down there however, knowledge is power...or something like that.

I would like to hear from anyone who lives in the greater Raleigh area. Even better if you have a family there. I have a family: wife and two sons (10ish and 6ish). We love the outdoors of course. Hunting and big into bass fishing. We try to vacation in OBX every year...

I have read about how great the area is for raising a family. Close to beaches, close to mountains. How people are so welcoming and hospitable, etc. Tough to find bad experiences from the area.

Are there areas that are more conducive to family and outdoor activities? Are there locations around the area I should steer clear from?

Top priorities:
    - Great school / district (public is prefered)
    - Family environment, low crime, drugs, distractions
    - Nice housing / neighbors (development living is OK however, single family home with some land would be ideal) Would consider waterfront property if reasonable and fit the first two bullets above
    - 35 minutes or < to work and airport is prefered (work would be located close to airport)
    - Drugs stores, groceries no more than 15 minute drive.
    -No more than 25 minutes to HD, Lowes, Target

Would appreciate any responses so I can be a bit better informed of the area.

2. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My good man...join the forum in the link provided and ask your question there as well. You will get all the info you need. I'm sure there are some NC residents here besides me, but there are definitely more there.

North Carolina Hunting And Fishing Forums

3. DubleTap556

DubleTap556 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Interested to know as well. I'll be moving up to NC in June from South Florida. Lookin around Charlotte area but not set in stone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What exactly are you looking for in North Carolina?

:lol:

Although I can't give specifics... I do have family from Texas who make it a point to visit the Raleigh area roughly every year. I've also got friends from here in Minnesota who had nothing but good things to say about it.

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pm me about Charlotte, we'll let the OP's thread stay geared to greater RDU.

6. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. I don't like to be the newbie who's first post is this question however, will do it! Appreciate the direction.

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Raleigh area has a lot to offer. Like many places it has its good and bad points. There are several surrounding towns that are great places to live if you have a family. Apex, Holly Springs and cary to name a few. The schools are decent some are better than others but if you give me a better geographic area or have a specific school district let me know and I can get the specifics for you. Morning commute can be maddening but it is not horrible. No where near as challenging as say the Atlanta area. Holly Springs has been deemed in the top ten safest cities in the NC supposedly. Here is an article talking about that:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/morning_call/2015/06/n-c-safe-cities-report-three-triangle-towns-in-top.html

All our kids are close to grown but this was a great area for them to grow up. Been here for over 16 years now and don't regret the decision yet. If you have any specific questions let me know and I will try to help out best I can

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For the OP you may want to pm SharpEyeSam he lives near Raleigh.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah. In regards to fishing. There are several lakes that offer some great fishing and you can get to most within 30 to 45 minutes depending on where you live. Lake Jordan, Falls Lake to name a few. Little over 1.5 hours north is Lake Gaston and Kerr Lake, so plenty of opputunites to fish. mountains and outer banks are 2.5 to 3 hours away as well.

10. DubleTap556

DubleTap556 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't intend to hijack - wanted to read good things about Raleigh to compare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll say this publicly:
    About Charlotte and Raleigh-they're cities there will be politics and liberal crap you will need to tolerate. Unfortunately the same goes with just about any city. Property taxes are generally (relatively) low especially if you're from the NE. From WV they may seem high. For the gentleman from FL we have state income taxes roughly 7.5% but ymmv.

For Charlotte the public schools are...well I can't say anything good. Look at the state DPI website and try to live in the best zone you can but know the boundaries change every few years. "I'm confuse by what was said above", you may be saying...if so lookup Brown v Board of Education. The politics around the public schools revolve around this case...still, and I believe impedes the efficacy of the city/county school system. We pulled our kids out and sent them to Charter schools instead.

Other than the above I've lived in Charlotte and raised my 5 kids here for the last 20yrs...good business town, good place to raise a family, generally good folks here.

Having said that and in fair disclosure, I expect to move further away from the city in the next couple years to get away from the politics, liberal BS and locate myself closer to hunting land and on a decent sized piece of land.

Raleigh is ~2.5 - 3 hrs away and I don't get over there much.

Mtns are only 1.5 - 2 hrs away. Closest beach is 3 hrs due south in Charleston SC, the NC beaches are 5+ hrs away. Great weather as far as this former (upstate NY) Yankee who also has lived in GA is concerned. Snow once or twice a year, 4 seasons generally 40-90 degrees (+/- 20 roughly) year round.