Liver hit. Wait how long?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GCLIFT, Nov 12, 2011.

1. GCLIFT

GCLIFT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just shot my biggest buck to date and hit all liver. How long should I wait?? Thanks I am still shaking andIf IDon't keep updated it's because receptionSucks.

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of daylight I would wait at least 4 hours

3. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on temps in your area I would say 4-6 hrs..........absolutely no reason to chase after him.

You SURE it was all liver?? You got your arrow already??

Even if you are guessing..........don't chase after him, wait until this afternoon as he will lay down within 200 yards of where he was shot (usually).

Good Luck and post pics when you find him.........if you smoked his liver he is dead, just be patient with your pursuit.

I shot a deer a few years back that was 1 lung destroyed and right through the liver and he was still alive 15 hrs later when I found him.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've always heard 6-8hrs. Good Luck!!!!

5. OctaneRudi

OctaneRudi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    like he said 15 hours it was stilll alive, i would personaly wait at least 10 hours, do you have a lot of scavengers in your area?

6. GCLIFT

GCLIFT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Arrow is covered with blood. But he ran about sixty yards and just stopped and looked. We are gonna give him four or five hours then take up the trail!! Hope it ends well

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it was a solid liver hit, he will be stiff when you find him .... if it just went thru the upper lobes, it will take over an hour ... I agree with atlas 100% ... can't wait to see the pics!!!

8. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hes gonna look for water. Give him time then if u start losing blood look for his water source near u

9. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Liver hits are tricky and it all depends on where you hit them as well as what else you may catch.. 4 hours MINIMUM is a great rule of thumb and even then, take it slow and deliberate. I've seen liver shots go down immediately but I'd imagine, without a real autopsy that something else was hit, like a major artery however, I'd always wage on the side of caution and wait it out. There's no doubt he's going to die... good luck and we look forward to the pictures.

10. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i believe i hit my buck this morning in the liver too.. the first 70 yards of where he ran was real good blood.. the blood just then stopped and we found some little drops 200+ yards away from it.. searched real thick stuff and found only about 20 yards of blood and just stopped... cannot find him, we also couldn't find my arrow..

11. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How cool is it there? If the temps are not too high, I would wait as long as you planed and then wait a little longer. It can be so crazy the things deer can survive or how far they can go. Let him lay down and feel comfortable for awhile and stiffin up. If you jump or push him, that may be the end of it for you.

12. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yeah, we probably already pushed him... shot him around 7:30, started after him at like 10

13. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hit my buck Thursday through the liver low, on the shot he ran 50 yards stopped and stood for what seemed like five minutes, then walked back towards me but not close enough for a shot. I backed out, gave him four hours and went in, he was still alive but unable to rise from his bed, we backed out again and I headed in with my bow an hour later and he was dead. If I could do it again I'd give him six hours, for what its worth. Hes going to die, just need to make sure you don't push him making trailing difficult, good luck.

14. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds to me like you pushed him, There's a good chance you won't be able to pick up his trail again but if you and a friend walk suspected routes he may have traveled in circles there is a chance of picking it up and even a possibility he didnt get bumped too much further and died. You may want to give it another go. I hvae recovered a deer over 2 miles of travel through the woods but I've also completly lost some in the senario you describe.

15. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  16. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    would him running uphill cause him to stop dripping from the entrance hole? i figured the blood would be moving to the rear end when he was heading uphill a little bit, causing him to stop bleeding? may be totally wrong though

17. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  18. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alot of things can contribute to stoping a bleed, any inner debris plugging the holes is common in gut shots. Going uphill may have been it, I find a deer hit marginally will "stop" bleeding if it is pushed and takes off running hard, in reality it didnt stop bleeding it just ran to hard and fast for the blood that was comming out to be noticed. The're a pretty tough animal, and they can go and go. All deer are different in the way they act after being hit. Sometimes if a deer knows its going to die it will run and run just to keep itself alive. If your deer did just stop bleeding it may have started again shortly after where it was jumped maybe a hundred yards or so. anyway good luck man. It's always a tough bullet to swallow.

19. jcarter504

jcarter504 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    At the beginning of the season my Dad shot a nice 7pt. He had made a bad shot at 47 yds and hit the buck square in the hind quarter with complete pass through. We waited four hours not knowing that it hit the hind quarters before tracking. As we were tracking we found 1/4'' to 1/8'' size blood drops anywhere from 15 to 30 yds apart then it stopped.During the track I had noticed the deer had to have been walking heavy footed due to the way the leaves were and the deeper tracks in the dirt so I continued following the odd trail of leaves. Needless to say after another 4 hours and zig-zagging the ridgeline. I found the buck about 250 yds from where he was shot. He was in some pretty thick stuff and I got off a 15yd shot to end the track. Key is be patient and wait several hours before tracking on a not so perfect shot and don't give up on your track because you lost blood. Weather dependent, I would rather wait it out than push the deer and have a chance of no recovery.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  20. bowhunter18

bowhunter18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any luck?