Live from Land Management Thread!

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by entropyfx, Apr 8, 2021.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal...I haven't even sprayed yet and it was 38 this morning...need a bit warmer temps to get beans in.
    Corn is in the germination bag should know if that'll work in a few days.

2. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to get a couple projects started on this weekend on my small 15 acre property. Admittedly, I don’t hunt this property very often - but I’ve needed to do some things to improve how well it hunts. So here is to hoping that a few of these things make it a little better.

1. The property has old cattle fence throughout. I’ve got a deadfall on a north opening/run. I opened a gate on the east and west of the property last year. That seemed to increase the volume of movement a bit.

This year I’m taking a large section of the fence down all together along the south of the property and to the south east. I got the entire section on the southeast removed this weekend. Still have some to the south for this week.

Barb wire from the top of the fence...
    [​IMG]

2. I have started mowing paths on/over deer travel corridor to make it a little less resistant and hopefully more attractive to the deer. Most of the property is dense timber and honeysuckle - so the paths I’ve cut in the path seem to have been well received. I am going to continue to expand upon these paths.

Those are really the two main things I was able to work on this weekend.

3. Got my trail camera out on my mineral lick.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldnotdead, GregH and arrowflinger1 like this.
  3. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The family came up with me this am after a quick stop for coffee and donuts.

I re-sprayed the bottom. Food plot, about 2/3 of the grass was killed, not sure if it was mix rates or spray or what, but I resprayed again with Imitator. Broadcast my clover, realized I didn't buy near enough. Gonna have to run for some more.

Got my blind moved, and the soybeans are all in up to my grass screen. Not much grass up yet. Apple trees are looking great!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

oldnotdead and GregH like this.
  4. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    Soybeans in. Clover in. The spray burn down did great, really looking good.

The Dew Drop planter did pretty good, though would have been better if I had done some light disking first. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    Was looking at my plots yesterday, myscanthus isn't growing great. Nor are my soybeans. But they are there. Just been too damn dry. Sprayed the soybeans as the weeds were getting out of control. Gonna broadcast brassica into it next month, so if it's a major failure so be it. Luckily the soybeans my farmer friend planted on the other side of the grass screen are doing great, so I'll have a plot regardless.
    My whitetail institute screen is coming in ok considering. Think I probably need to fertilize that and my myscanthus. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

arrowflinger1 and oldnotdead like this.
  6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those last 2 pics, even with great rains aint gonna amount to chit..
    Brassicas in 3 more weeks or oats/rye in 8 more.

7. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    They actually did a lot better than you would have thought. Timed out well, they all have bean pods on them. They are dispersed between a lot of weeds (spraying failed miserably), but where they are the most sparse is right in front of my tower and where we spent all the time broadcasting Brassica and winter wheat, as well as some turnips.

Turning out better than what I would have thought seeing them a month ago. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

arrowflinger1 and GregH like this.