LIttle bit of video w/ jmbuckhunter from July 3.....

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by mobow, Jul 3, 2009.

1. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok......this is frustrating the hell out of me, but anyway......The one thing about my camera is everytime I hit the stop button, it begins a new file. So, somehow I need to figure out how to combine several files into 1 so we can view a continuous "movie".......So with that, sorry about needing to watch 3 different files, but hey......I really have no idea what I'm doing here.

jmbuckhunter came out today and went bowfishing for some Asians with me and my buddy Dave. We had them jumping a little bit today and John and I both were nearly knocked out of the boat by those crazy flyin things......Dave went head over heals out of the boat oncet, but we won't get into that. But it was freakin hilarious! So, w/out furthur adeu.....My first outdoor footage.....

If any of ya'll have any tips for how to edit this crap to make 1 movie, I'm all ears. This is frustrating to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lMGrO1cOgY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXdMqt17ORY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGF29T_WagM

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It made me join U-Tube but still won't let me watch it. It says the video is private.:confused:

3. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Try now.....had to change a setting.

4. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    OOhh yeah, dats more like it. Thanks for the fun day of bowfishing Don, we definately need to do that again.:cool:

There is officially another bowfishing addict on this site. Even tho we didn't get into the really big ones until they started jumping over the boat on our way out tonight( I didn't know a trolling motor would make em jump) it was a blast slinging arrows at these stinky fish today. I even managed to connect on 3 consecutive shots at one time. And these weren't the biggest carp either.

First fish of the day on my second shot. You can see why they call them big head.
    [​IMG]

Sharpshooter Dave with a ci-gar.
    [​IMG]

A 4.5 pounder.
    [​IMG]

This one tipped the scales at almost 10 pounds.
    [​IMG]

5. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looking like fun guys. Cool little gar too.

6. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Dam i wish i lived closer :cry: I cant take it, two buds having fun with out me :cry: Calgon, take me away :d looks like fun boys, John, congraqts on your first fishes, fun aint it?? :cool:

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are hi-larious!

Nice shootin' though. :tu:

8. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Crick, we mentioned that same thing. Too bad you weren't closer, that is just fun! You can make it though. Shoot, it's only what? 5 hours or so? ? :confused: :d

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    actually 3.5 hrs from John and a half tank of gas

10. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job guys! Psst.. John... cut the sleeves off. ;)

That bighead is waaay skinny. I've heard they are starving to death in areas but that is the skinniest I've seen one.
    Where were you guys shooting?

11. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well then crick, whatcha waiting for!! Come on down man!! Of course, it's another hour and 15 minutes from John's house, so that 5 hour guess was pretty close there bub....LOL

Christine, we were shooting in a creek that dumps into the Missouri River. About......an hour and a half west of st. louis. Over the last 3 or 4 weeks, I've shot out of 3 different creeks and shot probaly close to 3 dozen of those things, they've all been skinny. I didn't even realize that wasn't normal. And not that I'm fond of suffering but.......Kill 'em all, I say.

These fish just crack me up! I wouldn't have thought a trolling motor would upset them enough to get them to jump, but it sure does. Shoot, they were jumping 50 yards behind the boat. John was nearly knocked out of the boat by one, I had one nearly clip my feet out from under me and a rather large one, 20 or 30 lbs I would say (just a rough guess as he zipped past my head) nearly knocked me out.

Is jumping a defense mechanism, kind of like an armadillo? Why do they jump like that? And to get them jumping, does it have to be a prop or will a jet boat do it? Crazy things...

12. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    The bummer about the bigheads and silvers starving is that the other fish must really be getting hit hard. Hopefully, we'll see an asian carp die off that will help our native plankton feeders for a bit. (until the carp build their population back up)

Bigheads should look like this. (they're tasty when they're meaty like this)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the jumping, I went to an Asian Carp Conference (really, there are such things) to learn more about these fish. Scientists studying the fish aren't really sure what's up with the jumping other than it's some sort of startle/escape response. I've heard that in their native range in China they don't jump like they do here.

We've had them jump from just dropping something on the boat to hardly being able to get them to jump when we're trying with a 25 hp 2-stroke outboard. It seems the more used to boat traffic/vibration they are the less likely they'll jump from small amounts of noise/vibration. The ones up in the back of small water seem to jump at just about anything. It also seems that they jump best if you're using a 2 stroke motor in an aluminum boat. However I've seen them jump from jet-skis and from paddle boats. Go figure. :confused:

13. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Holy cow what a mess of fish! Yeah, I've YET to see one that looks like that. They must be hurtin pretty bad around here then. I can tell you this for sure, there are millions of them. We were pushing schools in front of the boat that were actually causing a wake........I saw schools of small ones, 6-8", that were too many to count. They honestly looked like schools of shad....it was incredible.

Looking at the size of those, I can see where they would be pretty darn dangerous. I couldn't imaging sailing down the river full throttle and have one of them whack me in the head.......Ouch.....

John, I guess we best get out there and shoot some more then, huh? :d

14. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Now there are some bigguns!!:cool:

Don, we need to do a little scoutin and find some like that!!!:confused: I think the ones we were shootin need a nother couple of years to be trophies!:d

15. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Christine, you got any secret spots in our neck of the woods you'd like to share with a couple of rookies.

One's you can tell us about and not have to shoot us afterwards!!:d

16. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Send picture of boat and motor. hee hee.

If you guys can put in the Mississippi there's some good spots right in Alton by the dam. You have to be careful out there tho'. I like you guys enough to feel a bit bad if I sent you to your deaths. ;)

Do you a boat that can handle it? If you do, I'll give you more specific spots. :D

17. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmmmm.....I may have to buy that boat afterall! LOL

18. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So far all we have is a small jon boat and a trolling motor. Not hardly Mississippi/Alton Dam material.

Might to work on a bigger boat for that trip.

19. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    sweet guys, that's awesome... can't wait for some more footage. :cool:

20. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be in IL Wed-Fri shooting the flying silvers off the back of a boat. I am removing my deck/lights before the trip so the suckers won't break the most expensive thing on my boat.

If only shotguns were legal for this, THEN we would be talking some real fun! :evil: