Little Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Fullrut1, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Fullrut1

Fullrut1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im looking for a little advice on out of state hunts. Im from the northeast and have never hunted anywhere out of New England. Ive got a few pennies saved up with the intentions of going on a hunt in the midwest. Im thinking maybe Ohio because of all the public land, but at the same time Ive heard dont bother because it gets hammered. Just looking for a little feedback to help in my decision. Outfitted is not out of the question either, I just want to make sure to get the most pleasurable experience for my money! Thanks!

2. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a friend who goes to Ohio and hunts various public land. He gets a mature buck every season. Like anywhere else though, you gotta put in the time finding the right piece of ground. If you don't have that kind of time you're better off finding an outfitter.
    You anywhere near West Danville? I have a couple hundred acres I can hunt up there but it's 6 hours away for me and I hear the hunting isn't very good.

3. Fullrut1

Fullrut1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im about 15 minutes from West Danville Actually! And as far as the hunting goes, its actually pretty decent hunting as far as Vermont goes.

4. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Funny, small world, I was up there for a wedding a couple months ago. May have to take a scouting trip if you say hunting is decent. My mother in law is moving up there soon so I'll have a place to stay, but if I gotta stay with my mother in law, the hunting better be VERY good! LOL!
    I just bought a house on Bomoseen and have access to a few farms north of there near Champlain. I hear there are some big bucks in that area?

5. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Public land involves knowing hunters as much as the game animal.
    Pressure is an issue, but lessened during archery seasons.
    Call the game management department for the area that you're looking at.
    The field officers can give some good insight into productive areas.
    Online scouting is going to be a huge asset for you.
    If you can manage to get boots on the ground before season great, if not pick out about 8 areas on the map that look good due to say and topo maps. Label them in order of attractiveness. This will help you cut down on wandering and wasting time when you get there. I'd have a hang and hunt setup or at least 2 stands.