Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Limb splinter

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jbas0729, Feb 6, 2023.

1. jbas0729

jbas0729 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Is this common? I know the pic is hard to see a hairline splinter on the edge of the limb. I’ve seen everything from send it back for new to cut sand and glue it. What do you all think? Has this happened to your bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. jbas0729

jbas0729 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  3. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    dont trust it ... get new limbs

4. jbas0729

jbas0729 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Upon closer examination it is deeper than I thought. Bear is covering it. Limbs are 100% covered for 5 years. It’s going in tomorrow.

Shocker99 likes this.
  5. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don’t shoot that thing… period. You can’t bowhunt with an eye full of graphite splinters. Don’t even question it. Take that thing to the bow shop.

Eyeball cost a lot more to replace than bow limb.

6. jbas0729

jbas0729 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You are very right. Bear customer service was awesome. Said just take it to your shop and we will send out the limb. Should be back in business with full eye sight soon.

opossumhunterNC likes this.
  7. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear… welcome to BH.com btw. Sorry you got a lemon on your first go round… bows, accessories, targets, arrows etc are expensive and I know you’re dying to shoot it so I’m sure that’s frustrating as ****… but glad they’re taking care of you. On the bright side that’s an extremely rare occurrence with modern bows (regardless of brand) so you’ll probably never encounter it again, unless you dry fire it. That’s something I’ve done (pretty sure most folks who shoot frequently have as well, but very few will admit it).

Its actually kind of a miracle of engineering that bows don’t just randomly delaminate limbs and explode on their own on a regular basis. A modern bow at rest with cables and string installed has around the same stored energy as a 22lr bullet. When you draw it back you’re storing close to the same amount of energy as a second 22lr bullet - basically doubling the stored energy (assuming that it’s at the standard spec of 70lb/30” draw). Fortunately they’re over 90% efficient so when you fire an arrow most of that second bullets energy gets transferred to the arrow. (If you forget the arrow- aka dry fire - then all the extra energy has nowhere to go which is why they tend to violently disassemble themselves). My point is that modern bows are truly amazing feats of engineering. It’s kind of hard to believe that there the occasional crib death/lemon doesn’t happen more often considering the extreme forces and sheer amount of energy storage/transfer that occurs every single time you fire an arrow. Even more so when you consider that archery isn’t a huge market and most of the manufacturers, even the big names, are relatively small operations in the grand scheme of things.

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It depends, but I'd always lean toward the side of caution with limbs. Bowtech back in the day had very sharp corners to their limbs and they'd get little splinters that were usually harmless. They'd since went to a bit more rounded edge and it doesn't happen anymore. Not sure about Bear.

9. jbas0729

jbas0729 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It’s funny you mention the rarity. When I was at the shop I asked is this common? They go did you dry fire? Nope. Slam it around? Nope, I baby it. He laughs and goes nope. This is rare. I go really? Because my crossbow is doing the exact same thing. It’s not like I’m shooting extreme light or heavy arrows either. Mine are kinda average. Just my luck I guess. Either way looking forward to getting it back. Not knocking bear either. Stuff happens and they’re backing it so good on them. I’d buy another tomorrow

10. jbas0729

jbas0729 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    These are fairly rounded and the limbs are contoured. They’re not straight like crossbow limbs. Guess it was just a freak thing and I was lucky enough to get it with a compound and a crossbow