Lil Carpoons maiden voyage.

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by Tribal, May 8, 2011.

1. Tribal

Tribal Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The maiden voyage of Lil' Carpoon with the lights and generator. We spent 4 hours on Clearwater Lake where the State record carp was taken at 55lbs. Pretty slow night we ended up with these 2 - 12pounders and the large one was 20lbs. We did miss a few too. And a few appeared to be larger than that 20 pounder. It was a blast until the geny ran out of fuel with no extra. I could not believe how fast times goes out on that boat. I also could nott believe I saw 4 other boats carpin out there. Fun time but fish were certainly spooky just like the day time. Is that normal or was it from the other boats that have been fishing it you think?
    [​IMG]

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Carp are usually spooked easy by the light. Looks like you guys had a fun night though!

3. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job on the carp. Those are some dandies.

Sometimes they are more spooky than others. Might have something to do with being harrased by others. They do learn quickly when shot at a few times. Grass carp are the worst for spookiness. They don't stick around.

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Carp are smart for fish. The generally don't care about lights at all, or generators or a 28 hp fan. They do learn to avoid the bright lights pretty fast if people are shooting at them. Fish also give off a distress chemical that other fish can pick up on. So even the ones that don't take arrows know something is up when the others get shot.

Also... turn off fish finders/depth finders. Carp do hate those pings. And avoid hitting stuff (bottom, stumps, brush) with your troller. That in-the-water thumping and whacking will definitely scare off carp and buffs.

Nice fish! Congrats!

5. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Those are some nice ones TRIBAL,,AWESOME!

6. carpsniper

carpsniper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice fish!
    LOL ...don't forget to bring a gas can next time. ;)

Hard to tell what was making the fish spooky. If I was to guess, I'd say it was from their experience with the other boats. On lakes where there isn't normally much boat traffic (at night), the fish tend to be spookier.
    C already covered this but,
    The number one reason fish spooked when I had a troller was when the prop would hit something. Anything would do it, sticks, stumps, rocks, even when it would plow through the soft muddy/sandy bottom. I would see wakes taking off as far as the lights would reach.
    Second was the fish/depth finder. You might get away with it in deep water, but I found that when I turned mine off, I spooked lots less fish.
    The only fish I've seen that are light shy are bigheads. Even then they aren't spooked so much by the light as a sudden change in the light.
    Good luck, stay after 'em.

7. jimmy19880

jimmy19880 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,everyone!I'm new here.For World of Warcraft players can not only enjoy some fun from the game, more of which can realize some truth.Hundreds of players realize the philosophy of life in this wonderful game.Do you agree with me?