Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Lightweight climbers

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by snuff, Sep 22, 2024.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is pantherquickclimb.com The owners/inventors live in the same town I do. They are just regular dudes that have a real passion for hunting. One of them even agreed to help me learn how to rappel. He met me out at a nearby piece of public and was very helpful to this old man.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

snuff and cantexian like this.
  2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is pretty slick. I would love to here your thoughts after a full season of use.

snuff likes this.
  3. jgaudiojr

jgaudiojr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is there a reason you're specifically looking at climbers?

4. snuff

snuff Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s what I’ve pretty much always used not sure how good I can be with a hang on and sticks and a saddle just doesn’t seem like something I’m willing to try

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    lone wolf for sure

early in likes this.
  6. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I were strictly a saddle guy, especially as much as I hate hanging sticks, this would be my #1 option. There are a lot of aspects to saddle hunting that I really like, namely taking a shot from a saddle. I like having that constant tension on me when I take a shot, especially if I have to contort a bit to get the shot off.

The problem for me going strictly saddle and I did hunt strictly saddle for the 2020, 2021, 2022 & 2023 seasons with a Hawk full saddle set up, a Tethrd full saddle set up, a Cruzr full set up and a Trophy Line full set up. Like the Trophy Line the best and kept it - I can't get comfortable during down time and start fidgeting and moving CONSTANTLY to get comfortable. All the stealth of hiding behind the tree is out the window when I'm up there doing calisthenics and hot yoga trying to get unmiserable.

This past weekend was our season opener. I was sitting down ready to hunt at 4:48AM. Sunset according to my watch was 6:32PM and I climbed down at 6:45PM. I was in a Summit Viper SD and no way I could've sat that long in a saddle or a hang on.

I do keep my saddle set up because every now and then I get invited to a piece of property that a non profit owns that's invitation only and spur of the moment. A real cherry piece of property. Thing is, you show up at the gate and they give you coordinates you can hunt where they want the herd thinned. I don't know the property, I can't scout and never been to the same place twice. So I carry a saddle because I don't know what trees to even expect.

Thing is after my whole diatribe above - I haven't ruled that platform out. If I get in a situation where I have to use my saddle I'd rather do that hang sticks. I've wanted to hunt so bad before and get to my woods and hang one stick and get so fed up with them I go home. I HATE hanging sticks.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  7. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    I talked and thought about this enough that I was probably going to pull the trigger, but a 6 week lead time makes me want to wait until off season. Our season is only 3 mos long, plus the $400 price tag made my coffee go down the wrong pipe.

8. jgaudiojr

Dislikes Received:
    What about hanging sticks bothers you so much? Length? Weight? Sequence?

9. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    I don't blame you at all. I think the price is high as well. However, if you're just getting into saddle hunting the cost would actually be less than a set of quality sticks and a platform, unless you went with the hawk products or something similar. I really hope after their initial start-up, they can lower the price and have more product availability. I think it's a great product that can get better.

10. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    In other news I noticed part of my last name is ****'d out where you quoted me. It's my LAST name, I can't help it. On saddlehunters.com I was denied membership for almost a year because my last name wasn't allowed.

I wound up going thru the Dept of Agriculture and having my birth certificate changed and I found a guy here local named Javier that made me a fake driver's license so I could once again participate in the interwebs of my interests.

early in likes this.
  11. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Crazy I know. I tried to type out something about raccoons once and typed coons and it got censored

12. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Older Lone Wolf all the way. I have 3 climbers and temped to buy another used since they off the market. I looked that the 1K stand mentioned in an earlier post. I think that has some real potential however, I would need to try it out as I am not sure I would like it for sitting hours at a time. Looks more for folks who like to stand a lot. The newer XOP reaper, will be a wait and see thing. I dont understand why its listed for 20.5 lbs.

13. snuff

snuff Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s what I thought about the new XOP seems like it looks lighter

pick00l likes this.
  14. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last week I was coming out of the woods at about dark. On the way, along a pipeline, there was a guy coming down from his tree and the climbing stand he had was noisy as all hell. When I neared him I asked him what make stand he was using? He told me it was a Summit stand. I didn't ask what model. I've heard mostly good things about Summit climbing stands, mainly that they're comfortable, but just the noise this stand made would be enough for me to never buy one.

For the last twenty years, when I hunted from a tree, I used the Lone Wolf sit & climb. IMO, it's the most quiet, stable, and lightweight climber out there. They are pricey, but worth the extra money. I think I remember it weighing about 19lbs.

pick00l likes this.
  15. jgaudiojr

Dislikes Received:
    I have a summit viper from 2013ish. It can be loud. I sat it about two years ago when my LW Alphas were on private property. It doesn’t get much more comfortable than that.

early in likes this.