Lighted nocks question.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mab, Jun 10, 2013.

1. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen on tv and other videos how well these nocks show up. Just curious from those that have used them, do they actually help with 'knowing' where your shot landed in 'real time'? Unfortunately, I cannot afford at this time a camera to film my hunts. Would be nice to be able to record the shot and then go back and view it over again. Without a camera, I cannot do that. So, my question is, at the time of the shot, do lighted nocks allow the archer to see exactly where your shot connected? Obviously, in low light situations, I can see where it would help. But what about later in the morning or early in the afternoon. When you have more sunlight?

2. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You probably wouldn't see one if you are shooting into the sun but you wouldn't probably take a shot like that anyway. Otherwise they work great. You'll see them in any light.

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that they do make for cool video and certainly help with finding the arrow. Now not speaking from experience but I do have some and have shot them several times just not through a deer yet I don't think they will help seeing where your shot impacted. The shot and deer move so fast that I think it would still be hard to tell.

4. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have another question on this subject. Do lighted nicks cause a different in arrow flight due to weight or size differences? Do I need to practice exclusively with them if I plan to hunt with them? Sorry if I interfered with your thread but I think my questions are in line with the original subject.

5. Ricpac

Ricpac Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    how can i find out what nocks i should use for my arrows? i have easton st epic arrows

6. BOWDADDY64

BOWDADDY64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They will help you in following your arrow to the target, I have and use them on one of my set ups . I have also used white nocks on my shafts for years, looks to me like a white light to the target in most lighting conditions, plus too they are cheaper on the wallet and you wont have to worry about some of your arrows having a differant F.O.C.

7. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, they will effect the arrow flight. If you are going to use them you should practice with them.

8. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Out to 40 yards...There is not difference in my regular nocks and my Nockturnals. Not sure about heavier lighted ones.

9. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    lighted nocks will effect arrows flight. depending on which ones your using and what yardage you start to see the difference...
    they definatly help tracking the arrow into the deer

10. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^x2

I shoot nockturnals and don't see a difference out to 40 yards with them also. I switched to these lighted nocks due to how light they are in hopes of not having too much flight difference

11. m3shadle

m3shadle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They do help IMO. At the time of the shot, it is hard to comprehend anything that is going on because of all the adrenaline pumping through your body. What I have found helps the most with the lighted nock is when you start to replay everything in your head in the moments right afterwards. That neon glow seems to be a focal point in your memory bank.

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very well stated!