Lighted knocks with low poundage

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ashley Adams, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Ashley Adams

Ashley Adams Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a pretty low poundage(42#). I have heavier brass inserts and a 125gr fixed head. Shoot Ted nugent gold tips. My question is will the weight on the back of my arrow take off much penetration and is it worth it for me to use lighted knocks? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The lighted nocks will add to Total arrow weight over standard nocks. Adding weight to the back end of arrow will lower FOC, but with brass inserts and 125gr heads you should be good. There’s calculators on GT website to determine TAW and FOC. It won’t take away from penetration, it’s personal preference on using them. I like em helps in flight and recovering arrow, plus if you film.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If you’re using standard Gold Tip GT nocks and you switched to Nocturnals you’d only be adding about 13 grains to the back end of the arrow. I’m not sure about the weights of the other lighted nock brands.

It should have no appreciable negative impact on anything except FOC % and that will be minimal.

Seeing where your arrow hits is a huge benefit.

Ashley Adams, BB1 and takemrarely like this.
  4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like said above, there will be no appreciable negative impact except for a very slight change to your FOC (front of center).
    With brass inserts and 125 heads you have a very strong FOC percentage, adding a bit more nock weight won't hurt a bit.
    Lighted nocks will help a ton with seeing where your arrow hit so you have a better idea of when to start recovery efforts.

Ashley Adams likes this.
  5. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Being a new hunter - lighted knocks give you a lot better of an idea of how the shot went. I've only connected with three deer (two last season) - but it is nice to be able to confidently say I hit the deer "x" area. I am awful at trying to follow one without a light.

I also shoot 42# - but my tips are only 100 grain. I do not see a difference in the flight of my arrow with the lighted nocks. I shoot Beman arrows.

Ashley Adams likes this.