Light rust in my shotgun barrel

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by ATbuckhunter, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While cleaning my shotgun today, I realized that I have some light rust in the threads where I would screw the choke in. So how should I go about cleaning it to get rid of it? I soaked it with some hoppes #9 and plan on leaving it overnight and hoping that will take care of it. I've never had rust in my barrel and i'm a little nervous about it. I should describe it a little more. From what I saw it was only a slight discoloration and when I whipped it down a couple times, a light coating of it came off.

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it's not real bad it should come off without a problem. I've had light surface rust on my 870 and used rem oil or a little wd-40 to clean it off.

I honestly don't think you'd have anything to worry about as far as a safety issue with it being inside your barrel. If you can't get it all off or screw in your coke may need to just keep soaking in and cleaning over several days. I've seen some pretty bad firearms from friends and they've never had problems because of rust ha.

3. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't think it is anything o worry about. As stated in previous post, a little oil and it should wipe right off and you are good to go. It would be more of a concern if it was an vintage gun where black powder was a propellant or even black powder guns of today. Black powder being corrosive and can cause serious pitting in a barrel if not cleaned out after shooting.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Solvent alone will take care of very minor rust spots...but a brush and some scrubbing will really loosen and remove anything more than really minor.

5. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

This.

6. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advise guys!

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After solvent and taking a brush to it I would just put some rem oil in the threads and put your choke tub in should be good to go

8. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so I wipped my gun down a few times with Hoppes #9 and I cleaned out the threads in my shotgun with a tooth brush and it looks like I have taken out all of the rust which was really just a slight discoloration to begin with. I put a liberal amount of oil on the threads of both the shotgun and chokes and I think i'm in the clear. I would have used white lithium grease on the choke but I couldn't find the tube. I appreciate the help guys!