lets talk treestands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by coheley665, Dec 6, 2012.

1. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what i was kinda thinking about the lone wolf, but i guess it one of those things i cant say much until i sit in one. As of right now the main thing im looking at between the two is the M100 has the bracket that you can get, so it seems like it would make it a 100 times better to hang the stand in the dark.

2. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah they are super easy bud. I would recommend the ratchet strap brackets not the chain ones just so you know. The chain ones are hard to get tight on the tree, and make sliding the stand out of the bracket kind of a pain. The strap ones you can get good and tight, and the stand slides right in and out of the bracket so easy. Again, I'm lazy and scared of heights. My back is pretty shot these days also. These stands are great, no doubt about it.

3. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think if you went with lone wolf, muddy or millenium you will be good. I bought a muddy this past summer and like it. The millenium from any research I did sounds like it is absolutely the most comfortable. I've heard customer service is good with all these brands. I've only used my muddy hang on this year, but I'm impressed with how comfortable it is. Having a footrest on the stand is a nice feature that is used more than I thought it would be.

I wanted the option of using the hang on for mobile purposes with the climbing sticks, but have only hung it in two spots on private land for more permanent set up. The leveling out feature helps for trees not perfectly straight which we seem to have none on our property. I also liked the set ups with two straps instead of one. Seems the one strap set ups work fine, but I would rather have two.

4. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    ya thats one thing i always do is use ratchet straps with my climbing sticks and stands they always more sturdy and secure then the straps that come with stands and sticks. I hate chains there strong but are noisy and you cant get them tight to the tree like you said. How solid is the stand to the tree with just the bracket though? because i always have two straps on my stands to make them rock solid.

Also has anybody every heard or used a treestand buddy bracket?
    http://www.treestandbuddy.com/

5. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion with just the bracket it is as stable as any stand I have been in...including ladder and climber stands. The ratchet I was talking about is the bracket by the way. They make 2 kinds. It comes with a chain bracket and you can buy additional chain brackets, but the ratchet brackets are an extra $5 and worth it for sure. The chains are just fine, I just so not prefer them.

6. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    ya i got what you where saying with it and i agree with you a 100% on going with the ratchet over the chain. Thanks for all the input i have 8 stands as of now. Think what i may do is get those stands set up and done in other locations then the honey holes and other spots i sit more often im gonna go the rout of just putting brackets up and carrying the stands in and out, probably get one M100 and then have to choose between muddy and lone wolf

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If you use a Lone Wolf there's no need to purchase extra brackets, straps other mounting devices. Provided you're using a lineman's belt (which you should be) while hanging the stand, you can get it hung within seconds. Why spend all this extra money if you don't have to?

8. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because the M100 is at least 100 times more comfortable. I'd rather be able to sit still on all day hunts then save only a few dollars. Lone wolf cost more for the stand, so in the long run the extra brackets do not cost much more, if any more depending on how many brackets you get. Lone wolfs have their place. Public land hunting especially, where you have to take everything in and out every sit. But if you can leave anything out, and plan on spending more then a few hours on stand, lone wolf can not come close to the M100. I don't feel safe on that tiny seat, and no comfort at all. I wish lone wolf would put some thought into comfort when building stands because there is no doubt they make a solid stand.

9. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Always using saftey while hanging and hunting!! they are very comparable stands with weight and platform size. The M100 is only $20 cheaper but it seems like it would be less work and easier to hang being you just slip it into the bracket. You could almost buy the stand and another bracket for the price of the LW. Thats what has me leaning towards the M100 but then again i cant say much about LW because i have never used one.

10. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a muddy hunter stand, the one with the larger platform and foot rest. I have been using it more and more and it's getting better every time. I can have it up in minutes and the seat is comfortable enough for me for an all day sit.
    I like hang ons a lot better than climbers. I just feel safer.

For the stands I have that are on my land, they are the el cheapo comfort zone hang on and sticks. It gets the job done. This summer I'm going to buy some muddy seats for them, then they'll be great.

I bought the extra stick with the muddy sticks and I can get up pretty good. I like to put my stand pretty low on the last stick and I've still had bucks come under the stand, thankfully opposite from my trail.

11. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    ya thats the same with me just cheap ones now. they get the job done for those short sits but when i start putting some serious time in my lower back starts to get real sore (dont help it already bothers me) but im really looking into getting two GOOD stands this year to help those long sits and if i want to try diffrent places besides my lease i can grab them and go throw up a quick set

12. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Nick,
    I have that same issue. The muddy helps, but the problem is you're still missing the support in your lower back so it still causes much pain.
    Check out how a millenium packs out. I would buy my muddy again in a heartbeat for what I do, but I don't really get to sit all day. If you're only going to sit for 5 or 6 hours, the muddy works great, anything over that though and it may not alleviate any back issues.
    It's a tough call and if you have any more questions, just ask. The seat does perform very well though, your butt never gets numb, it's pertty sweet.

13. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I took a bad hit in the back when I played football and its never felt good since. Summit climbers and millenniums are the best for comfort, hands down. The old bulky ugly tree lounges are the only thing better on the back.

14. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    well i think i am for sure going to get a M100 from what i have heard and i like the idea with the bracket to make things quick and easy. I think i am going to try a muddy stand to so i can see what they are like, i like the adjustments on it for if the tree leans some. What muddy stand do you have??

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know guys who swear by taking those lower lumbar supports on stand...I never have because I don't have to, but some guys swear it makes the longer sits much more do-able.

16. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lone wolf, lone wolf, lone wolf !!!!!!!

17. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

For real comfort just bit the bullet and get a big game ladder stand.

18. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    i dont like ladder stands all that much i feel like i get picked off much easier then i do in a hang on.

tynimiller-- are you talking about the belts?

19. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Also with the ladder stand, I am looking for something that has some mobility to it needing I'm either gonna need a good Mobil stand or 6 more stands

20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received: