Let's talk TOPO!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, Jul 28, 2018.

1. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Look on east facing slopes for bedding. I’ll try to sketch a map for you tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think water access is the best option-for entry and getting a deer out. It would cause much less disturbance and probably keep you from getting all sweated up while walking in. I also agree with Brett on the stand sites, depending on what you find when you actually visit the spot. I'd check around on Craigslist for a used canoe or kayak and then try to hide it real well when not in use. I'm really looking forward to see how this unfolds for you this season. Best of luck!

Blessings............ Pastorjim

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

cantexian and Swamp Stalker like this.
  3. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Jim! I'm packing up my stuff now, should be a great day! I'm curious to see how the last part of the walk is. This will determine if an amphibious assultis required!

Kfili likes this.
  4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck! Do you have any cameras you could put out there?

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The topo map makes it look like the pond has a couple of islands and big points going into it. The ariel photo makes it look like the water may be shallow, at least at whatever time of year the picture was taken. Since you do not have a boat, if its not to deep, I would put on waders and check the islands and on that one big point. Both of the archery bucks I have killed were within 75 yards of water and less than 200 yards from the point in the river where they bedded.

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I also like that little pond on the private, just West of the public land. I'd be checking tax GIS/OnX to determine owner and following up with them...worst they can say is No.

Looking at GE for different times of years may also help some with tree identification, availability/depth of water...

7. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not to be discouraging...but if I read correctly that it takes 45 minutes to get to the yellow dot, I'm not sure that I would attempt hunting on the backside of the property.

8. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    well that was a hike and a half! Took me 1 hour 45 minutes to get to the area up by the state line. Part of the trail was flooded by the work of a hairy beaver.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I didn't find anything to write home about. 3 out of the 4 areas i checked were impenetrable. The hills were insanely thick with mountain laurel. I slithered my way through and up trying to find the military crest, and hoping for a run. Nothing. to thick.
    here are some pics of the area....
    [​IMG]

standing on the rock......[​IMG][​IMG]

The greenery is 95% mountain laurel which has green leaves year round

I did find a run on the western side of this hill where the yellow line is. BUT, there was no buck sign. no rubs from last year or prior years. is that normal? or did I find a doe trail? I did find a few beds, but again, not sure if it was doe beds or buck beds.
    [​IMG]

There was signs of hikers and mountain bikers up there too. So unless It's normal for a mature buck to not leave sign anywhere, I think I'm going to save myself the hike, because that was pretty serious!

On my way back I checked out the area I hunted once last year. There is a run on the military crest, but again, no real buck sign. I'm confused!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  9. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:

LOL!! I was only going to do it if I saw good buck sign. I'm more then willing to do whatever it takes even if I had to get there at 3am to walk in.

Luckily, I don't have to worry about that now!

gri22ly likes this.
  10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You have any other public lands around there?

11. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, there is a 500 Acre piece adjacent to it that is bow only. BUT, it is heavily hunted, so i really don't have a desire to deal with that.

I'm still optimistic about the upcoming season here though. Last week I found a main travel corridor that is loaded with sign. Plus my name is in a lottery drawing to be able to hunt reservoir property in RI.

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Based on your description, I am guessing you found a doe bedding area. It would be a lot of work, but it could end up filling the freezer, or being a great spot for the rut.

13. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    There are some spots I hunt that dont have hardly any buck sign until they show up in late October. I could scout the spot in the summer and find no outward buck sign and still know they will be there to find the does come November.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    I just worked 12 hours, hit the gym for an hour, drove 70 miles home...now I'm fixing to head out to run some cam's. Got four cameras to check and going to move two of those to different locations. Guessing I will hike 5 miles tonight. And it's raining so the copper heads will be on the move, lol.

Point being, we do what we gotta do, pushing the limits and working hard while others are sleeping.

Swamp Stalker and virginiashadow like this.
  15. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    I have no idea why posted this in your thread Swamp, I'm compulsive sometimes.

16. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    This was 17, 8-7....Now known as 18, 8-7. Looks like his growth has stalled out, need better pic's....I have no interest in killing him but his core consistency has landed him in my radar.
    17cam8-7.JPG
    WGI_0080.JPG

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    virginiashadow likes this.
  17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    You think you'll be able to pattern him early?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

18. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if I can pattern him or not. I do know right where his core is now. I know of a few obvious food sources within. I believe I can accurately predict his bedding and travel based on edges. I'm going to hunt him with my camera's and learn all I can from him.

19. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    I here it all the time and I don't know why people say to look at the 1/3 elevation mark. This is very missleading and not true in most cases. Bucks actually tend to bed on a high edge right where the terrain breaks off, this can happen anywhere from the halfway point to the very top of the ridge and anywhere in between. Even then, unless you have ag on top or bottom or both, in a target rich environment, with a well defined food source....finding a primary bed is like finding a needle in a haystack. You could literally walk yourself ragged all summer and never find one.

In a big woods, low deer density, hill country environment, with no well defined food source you have to find a location that provides access to multiple preferred habitats with variety, diversity and security of some sort. I wish I could point that spot out on the map and say look here but I can't. There are just way to many unknowns and variables at play...the more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing at all. I'm a good two years, a few thousand photos and a dozen more bucks from anything slightly definitive.

20. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    So funny, I feel the same exact way! Good to hear I'm not alone! My dad has hunted these woods since the 80's. He's told me time after time, you just have to put your time in a spot that has good sign and it will eventually happen. (blind squirrel finding the nut)

Finding a main travel corridor a few weeks back has certainly changed my level of confidence. It's a funnel through the mountain laurel that is heavily used. My theory is, If I use it and I don't see movement, it's because the deer are onto me, and they are now using the secondary trails to skirt me. I can then go to my usual spots on the secondary trails.

I was thinking of starting off the season on the secondary trails like normal, and let the deer think they are outsmarting me like usual and they will stick to the main travel corridor. Then, switch it up on them and KILL!! Not to sure if I should or not.

gri22ly likes this.