Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Lets talk about sitting still in the stand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NebMo Hunter, Oct 3, 2023.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I started hunting it was pounded into me SIT STILL
    only very slowly turn your head back and forth to scan around

While YES being still is good, deer have very good eye sight, but not really - they don't see detail as clearly as humans think 20-80 / 20-100 This is almost considered being legally blind, and they don't have binocular vision.
    So while they have a 280 degree field of view, they they aren't made to look up. I'd have to try to go find it but a year or two or three ago - I watched a bunch of videos on deer vision and what and how they see, and what is "danger" to them and my position has softened greatly. I have no problem standing, getting tired sitting, readjusting my legs, getting stuff out of my pack and looking around. My knees get tight and uncomfortable and I have to "pop" them, literal extend my leg and my knee pops then I'm good for another 45 minutes. The more comfortable I am the longer I can stay in stand but I have to move.

I hunt most often with my father in law who is old school. DONT MOVE EVER FOR ANY REASON SHORT OF SHOOTING. He wouldn't even lift a cheek to fart.

the problem is I think he's too scared to look around and doesn't see deer, he often is "surprised" by deer that he didn't' see coming. When talking about a hunt and comparing what we saw I never see less (in general). I then add to that all the hunting videos I watch, guys moving cameras, talking to cameramen in the tree, doing little interviews moving talking pointing.

Yes being still and quiet is good, but I'm much more liberal with it all, careful, but liberal and am still as successful as the old school guys I know.

Where do you stand on the being still topic?

pick00l likes this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do not touch your phone and sit still.

3. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    so how can one be live from the stand? :confused:

pick00l and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They may not have binocular vision but I've been picked off from a distant by deer more than ones up close. Just check that out yourself. Keep your head in a straight on position. Then a good distance from a stand, spot it take a good look then walk straight at it. The closer you get the more your stand moves out of your vision. As far as they, aren't made to look up? Really, someone needs to tell the numerous doe I have on cam at night looking straight up at my stands as they stand next to them.

pick00l and MUDSHARK like this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't do it quit acting like a teenage girl that can't put her phone down.

muzzyman88, 0317, Fix and 1 other person like this.
  6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can't sit still for the life of me. A majority of it comes from having been diagnosed with ADHD, and the other part I'd say is the normal amount of it being a challenge everyone else experiences. I use my phone a good chunk of time I'm on the stand, to help me keep still. If I'm on it, it is constant stimulation and keeps me still. I'm sure I've missed dozens of deer, been picked off hundreds of times and is one of the main reasons why I don't see deer too often. What else can i do? I can't be medicated for it as I'm a neuro and cardiac risk. I've tried using ground blinds, but I feel like I'm not even hunting in one. Maybe i need to try one of the see-through blinds so I feel like I'm really in the open, idk.

7. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you aren't actively testing your safety harness while in stand, are you even hunting?! I'm all over the place.

8. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    so..... saddle bros?

9. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I stand a lot and I'm pretty still. When I move it is slowly and I try to use cover as much as possible. I'm more worried about scent. Let's face it, as bowhunters, we have to move when they are close enough to shoot. I don't think shifting or turning slowly is that risky.

oldnotdead and MUDSHARK like this.
  10. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, and I post to LFTS while doing jumping Jack's and waving my arms.

11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I find it hysterical that there are so many threads in this forum dedicated to gear, technique, and brand loyalty. Yet a guy that will choose any of those topics as a hill to "die on" doesn't shoot nearly enough to be proficient in order to give advice. I'm not calling out anyone individually, quite on the contrary rather all as a whole. Our most popular thread is LFTS yet it in itself is counter intuitive at its core. I see it constantly at the show. Guys want their bow tuned in and throwing bullet holes but their form is dogshit. As a long time member I promise you I love this forum and check it often. But remember guys (and girls) we owe it to the kids growing up, the members we are on a team with, the animal that we hunt and to our selves to become the best hunter we can through hours of actually shooting. If you are lucky enough to get time in the stand... please don't waste it on your phone doing what you can accomplish literally any other time of the year.

Ok I'll climb down.
    And to OP to stay still I play a game with myself to where I try to guess what and where and why each noise happens. Then I slowly check. It's stupid but it helps me Focus

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

MUDSHARK, Wedes, cantexian and 2 others like this.
  12. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    On the LFTS thread, topic, argument, whatever. I don't constantly look at my phone while hunting. I'll post a few times, maybe upload a Pic of a deer that I passed, or just say I struck out. Maybe see if anybody shot, how a track is going, or whatever. But! I really don't move much typing a post nor do I feel like I'm missing anything at times i check or post. To each their own I guess, buy I just can't really argue against it based on how I do this.

Also, yes, shoot a lot. Work on form, make good decisions and execute on shots.

Fix, Tony and oldnotdead like this.
  13. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bro…. Stop

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Stand height and cover helps me stretch my legs over and over and over. LOL

cantexian and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How about you do you and let others do what they want? Cripes…

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hell, I watched a little of the London game on stand Sunday … sorry not sorry

Flame away :busted:

Swamp Stalker and NEW61375 like this.
  18. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As far as shooting great before season ,that said and I get bad about this myself, shooting during season. Now definitely not an issue with the crossbow. I have to shoot it every hunt to decock it. Might as well aim at a distance on the cube. My compound I will just let it leave my mind when actively hunting. I have payed for that more than once in getting muscle bound in not being able to draw my bow AT ALL. I now push myself to shoot a few times after morning hunts. I always carry a field point practice arrow in my quiver.

19. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No saddle hunting here, honestly I would probably enjoy it as I did tree work for a while and enjoyed hanging in a tree. I just like trying to fall off my stand on purpose to see how good my fall arrest works. FYI cheap harnesses suck.

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You don't see it as a problem people who can't go 5 minutes without checking the phone? Wait all year to hunt and get in the woods to enjoy just to stare at the phone. I may be an old codger but just try it for 1 sit 1 time.

NEW61375 and Fix like this.