Let’s get this party started boys!!!!’

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, Jun 21, 2019.

1. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got glass on two really nice bucks in the beans. One is a wide 12 that I recognize from last year and the other I didn’t get a good look at. They didn’t hang around long after I backed in across the road. Here’s pics of wide 12, he was a 5x6 last year. I’m amped up now![​IMG] [​IMG]

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Supposed to pick the bow up at the shop tomorrow...new strings (+peep, loop, kisser), cable and tune... Almost like the night before the season opens.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    cantexian and Swamp Stalker like this.
  3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Finished up a new batch of hunting arrows last night. Picked up some Goldtip Hunter XT's in a 340 spine and built them to have 4% more FOC than current arrows and about 50 grains heavier. Calculators only get you in the ball park, but I should end up real close to 280 fps, which is to me a nice speed that is still somewhat forgiving of about 4 yards of yardage judgment error but with a bit harder hitting arrow. Can't wait to shoot them, archery elk starts the end of this month. Spent a weekend up at archery camp a couple weeks ago checking out sign. They log it here and there every year it seems, creating new clear cuts but altering elk movement and bedding areas. Always have to scout a bit to see how the elk have reacted to it, especially when they log a bedding area.

4. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it could be that low nock point. Basically if the back of the arrow is lower than the rest (as it relates to the direction of the energy from the bowstring) then when the bow fires its kind of like trying to but back spin on the arrow and since the arrow is going to rotate along the its center of gravity (which is towards the front of the arrow) its essentially driving the back of the arrow down and causing it to hit the rest.
    I don't think you could torque the bow enough to cause that without derailing the string.

5. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you there, I'm seriously curious about this now. Looking forward to finding out what it is.

6. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Just curious as to what cam system your bow is ?

I got to thinking, as far screwed up as it’s throwing an arrow, I think you might be better served to put your bow on a drawboard and set/time your cams first, clear up cam lean then do your rest.

You might and as bad as this looks thru paper, have a bow completely out of synch.

I’d start by putting the bow in a vice with an arrow on the rest with forks up, using a level and set your or check your loop height. Set that or check that then drawboard the cam timing/ cam lean.

No way that rest is on properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I too was armchair quarterback / thinking about this my thoughts :
    °Joe's grip-paper tuning is hypersensitive. Delicate grip is needed...
    °paper not secured at the bottom was basis for some skew
    °cord may be too slack/football too high on cable - may account for rest timing and scuff on launcher
    *yes he has some (east/west) adjustments needed too on the rest

Also a possibility of low FOC or right shaft...

Ooh, I forgot distance to paper - usually done very close...

We do expect a Full report!

8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    OK bow is normal now!! It was absolutely everything! The cams were out of sync, the arrow rest was way off vertical and horizontal, and the string to the rest needed to be adjusted, because it wasn’t dropping when it was supposed to, good to go now, shooting laser beams!

Thank you so much to everyone who helped out!

Sota, cantexian, Fix and 6 others like this.
  9. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Lol

Not bragging but I kinda hit the nail on the head.

You had someone set that bow up who might have never done so in their life. Never seen an arrow so sideways thru paper in my life.

Let’s see your paper tears now. Hope after the shot, the bow doesn’t kick to a side.

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fantastic

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    He also recommends me to shoot 100 grain tips as opposed to 125's. Not sure why.

12. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Unless your arrows are "under-spined" I can't think of any reason.

Then again, I've known two shop owners who just had their own idea of what was right and anything that didn't line up with their way of thinking was wrong regardless of how right it was.

13. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Only 30 more days until I kick off my 2019 season. I can't wait for the Kentucky opener.

Last season was a rough one for me. I retired on 31 August and we were scrambling to get our house in Tennessee ready to put on the market so I missed my chance at a velvet buck in Kentucky.

We put our house on the market in mid-September and it sold in four days, so we scrambled to pack up and move me and our six dogs to a temporary "house" in Kentucky. House is in quotation marks because this place was a dump. Lets just say that for the almost two months I was there waiting to close on our new place in Missouri I never did have running water. Just a spigot outside. He did finally get the water working to the toilet, so that was a plus but if I wanted to take a shower I just ran a garden hose through the bathroom window to the tub and used a spray nozzle. The cold showers reminded me of my Navy days. The central air didn't work and the little portable A/C unit I bought fought valiantly every afternoon to maintain 75 degrees. Oh, and it was infested with brown recluse spiders.

We finally closed on our new place in Missouri in late October and we moved in right around Halloween. During all of this my wife was still working at St. Jude in Memphis and she lived on the Navy Base in our travel trailer, so my "hunting cabin" was gone. It didn't matter, though, because with her being gone I couldn't go anywhere overnight because of our dog pack.

I ended up killing five deer (two bucks and three does), but it was difficult to enjoy. This year will be different. My wife has since retired and is here and she knows and is perfectly okay with the fact that this season she is going to be a "hunting widow".

It's gonna be a bloodbath around here this year.

14. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Will be chasing antelope in fifteen days. Going to have to stay close to the truck and keep a cooler full of ice ready considering how hot it will be.

cantexian and Swamp Stalker like this.
  15. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I finished up refletching my arrows last weekend. Had to do six of them between last season and 3D archery season. Current set up is a 300 spine Black Eagle Renegade at 28" weighing around 470 grains. I am hoping the four-fletch Bohning Heat vanes shoot better than the standard three-fletch blazers. The heat vanes are lower profile and 2.5" long as opposed to the shorter and taller Blazer. I bought some Helium sticks a couple of weeks ago. Hoping this weekend I will have time to get into the saddle at hunting height for some practice.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Swamp Stalker likes this.
  16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will not get home till October 25th with zero time to hunt before then (like I was going to) I can fill my tag in 7 hunts or less, take the under my kids do not want my mounts so who the hell cares what I shoot. I just like shooting bucks. Not going to start shooting little fellas but also not going to sit for days wishing either.

mikey custom-g likes this.
  17. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow I'll start practicing with the LW to get my system (and confidence in my gear) down.

18. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also guessing underspined.
    We can tell you with a bit of info.
    Bow draw weight, advertised speed rating of bow (what kind of bow and we can look it up if you don't know) what kind of arrows, what spine are the arrows (400's, 340's, etc.) arrow length (throat of nock to end of carbon).

19. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    My arrows are set up per the advice from this thread.

Bloodsport Hunters 350, 28" length. 125 Grain tip

Bow DW is 55#, DL 27" the bow is a Bear Cruzer

20. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am no expert, but I would think you would be good with that set up. I shoot a 26.5” draw at 68lbs with Black Eagle Renegades 300 spine but my arrows have a 56 grain half-out insert at 28”. My arrows weight around 470 grains I need the stiffer spine because the heavy half-out increasing FOC and the heavier draw weight. With your lighter draw weight you wouldn’t need as stiff an arrow.

I used to shoot a 55lb bow set at 27” draw with 350 spined arrows that were lighter than my current set up. I don’t see being underspined as the issue. That guy probably just has his particular opinion and nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Fix likes this.