lesson learned the hard way.....Booner down.

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Dickie Tunes, Nov 20, 2016.

1. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the booner Richie. A lot of guys spend a long time and money to just see one. Kudos on staying on the trail and doing whatever necessary to redeem yourself for the bad shot.

2. Stook

Stook Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love the show. You guys make it real for me. I've followed the show for years. I've skimmed these forums for a couple years. Only recently made a post. I respect your decision for not enabling bad hunting habits or bad ethics. I also appreciate the forum for allowing us to talk about this hunt and the problems associated with it. Great job guys. Please keep it going.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dec you should speak for your self. I think there are plenty of hunters here that would not take a ****ty shot and try to force one in there.

4. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did speak for myself. And you are right, there are "plenty" of hunters that would not try a bad shot, I don't either ... usually. None of us are perfect and we ALL have made a decision while hunting that we have later regretted or said "man I should not have done that one". If we haven't then 1) we haven't hunted very long or 2) we are liars.

It is easy to be a Monday Morning Armchair Quarterback when it is not you in the stand.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    DEC to be fair there is a vast difference in executing a poor shot and taking a poor shot.

I know because I've sadly partaken in both.

6. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow this is getting out of control, guys the end result is I made a bad rushed decision on a walking animal at 42yds. I did stop him on the first shot and sent one just over the top of his vitals. It wasn't the yardage at all on my second shot I readjusted my pin but never stopped the animal and as I released he stepped forward. No one has seen the footage in its entirety, and I explain what happened in detail, there is no smiling or fist pumping just the truth and that's it...... I will say this looking back I shouldn't have taken the shot at all. It was a spooked animal and I should have let him walk after the first miss. No excuses, did I learn a valuable lesson absolutely, I don't need to be beat up about telling my story on a forum by guys who haven't seen the footage to its entirety, not at all. The fact is i posted this out of respect for the animal and to write a wrong in my own mind and hopefully help others learn from my mishap. Call it what you will at this point it makes no difference to me if you agree or disagree. it's in the past and I've moved on just wanted others to realize **** happens to all
    Of us none of us are perfect and sometimes the plan deviates from the script. Thanks for reading this and thanks to the ones who understand what I'm trying to do here.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  7. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I agree totally. I've done both sadly and I am betting many have. I look back 25+ years ago when I was a young hunter and a couple of the dumbest shots that I tried to pull off. I like to think now in my late 40's and years of experience that it will never happen again, but there is no way that I can guarantee that it won't. Again, none of us are perfect. I wasn't in the stand with him that day, so the last thing I am going to is gang up on the OP for his hunting decision. Again, props to him for telling the story and being humble/regretful about it (as far as I could tell from my read of it). I just don't agree with people piling on a guy for it, unless that guy got on a forum and was boastfully bragging about what a great hunter he was ... which I don't at all feel was the case. We all have seen that scenario play out multiple times on various TV shows and on social media. That never looks good for us as a whole.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone. Hey we are entitled to our opinions. Mine is simply that I don't thing the OP deserves to be subject to an internet beat down. As a consolation penalty maybe he should be force to buy all of us a beer should we ever cross paths ... :)

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, we've all done dumb stuff. To me this discussion has not ever (at least to me) been about whether we need to bust Music's balls or not, but rather the decision to air it or not. It was a terrible shot choice decision, and I give Richie props as much for admitting it.

Accountability is always a good thing...if done respectfully though which I think is what this all boils down to. Some are interrpreting the conversation as some attacking Music...while others view it as complete and utter honesty....not gonna say either side is wrong really.

Either way discussion as gone long enough....those with buck tags go harvest something, don't take a bad shot and share trophy photos! :biggrin: Leggo!

9. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    stud of a buck..congrats

10. cant

cant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think this entire conversation is awesome. All sides. This is a fantastic read for anyone. I lover hearing all the opinions.

11. Coastie

Coastie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I applaud both Richie and the BHOD staff. Richie for coming forward with the mistake he made and the BHOD staff for not airing it as a successful hunt.

My thought is that a portion of this footage along with others that Justin said were not aired could be useful. Maybe during the lead up to the 2017 season they could use a couple segments where the BHOD team member discusses what lead up to the shot and why their decision was flawed. The point would not be to show a successful hunt, but educate fellow hunters that watch the show to learn.

I believe any individual can justify a bad decision at any given time. The best defense against justifying a bad call is education. And education is why a lot of folks, including myself is why we watch BHOD.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Discuss sure if so desired but to air it would give the hunt airtime and undermine everything Justin said earlier. To some that would also make it seem worth it or justify a bad shot choice, something they do not want to do.

13. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I wouldn't want to see them make an episode out of it. That being said a forum post here by the team member and a discussion of what happened and why might be cool. Sort of basically just exactly what Richie did here but with the video. At the same time it takes me back to an earlier point. Why put something out there that anti-hunters can use as fuel and possibly switch the non-hunting crowd to the anti-hunting side of life.

14. Indianflyer

Indianflyer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What about Season 4, Episode 23 starting about 4:50 into the episode?!!

Maybe the experience from that episode is what you are referencing.

It's hard to imagine Richie's footage would be any harder to watch than it was watching Todd shoot a deer in the butt. That deer was moving and the decision to shoot was poor. The footage from that hunt was, to me, a valuable lesson in what not to do.

We haven't seen the footage of Richie's hunt, but I would bet his hunt could be used in a similar fashion to educate the viewers about hunting ethics. I agree that airing the footage and celebrating him killing a Booner wouldn't be the right decision, but airing some of it from an educational standpoint could be beneficial. You guys have never had a problem calling people out on your show for making poor decisions.

My hat's off to you Richie for owning up to your mistake and putting in the time and effort for the recovery. Thanks for sharing.

Tags: