Lesson in patience

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Bone Head Hunter, May 14, 2017.

1. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So this year my SIL asked me to take him Turkey hunting He had never been and was looking to learn a few tips. I am in no way a very good Turkey hunter, but have managed to kill a few over the years. Friday night I went out and roosted what I thought was 4 or 5 Toms on the family farm. Early Saturday morning we slipped in and setup. At around 7 am we heard several birds fly down and the action began. Over the next hour we had gobblers hammering all around us. I told him that we had to be patient and let them work their way into our set. At 8 am all went silent and he started asking me questions about what was happening. I was telling him that the Toms were probably off with a hen breeding and that a lot of times they slip in and you never hear a sound. Not 5 minutes later out of the corner of my eye i caught movement and then saw a nice Tom walks out behind us at 10 feet away from the blind. I whispered to get his gun ready and during the rush he brushed his gun against the leg of his chair. Immediately the Tom turned and started walking straight way from us. I had told him to take only a head shot or not shoot. That birds bobbing head never gave him a shot he felt comfortable with and we watched him hurry across the field and go out of site. My SIL was crushed and
    I was disappointed that it didn't happen for him. As we sat there discussing the what if's another gobbler stepped out in the field 30 yards away and went into full strut. Once again I whispered don't move. I could tell that this Tom was not going to stay long and would not give him a shot.. so I pulled up and whispered cover your ears as I brought my gun up and took the shot. Bird down.. The lesson in all this for him was when it goes quite just hang in there and wait, because they could just be really close and show up at any moment!

1.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Josh/OH likes this.
  2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Real nice bird, especially for this late in the season. Congrats!

Blessings........Pastorjim

Bone Head Hunter likes this.
  3. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    SWEET.

5. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received: