Less is more?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jake/OH, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As I have been sitting in my stands feeling sorry for myself, I've come to a possible conclusion. I hunt 77 acres only about 9 is woods, the other parts aren't really worth hunting due to location. Between me and my brother we have hunted a combined 65-70 times this year, about 50 of those have been me. Anyways early season was decent for sightings but since mid-late October the hunting has been very bad in terms of deer sightings. I realize that later in the season our property has much to be desired in terms of food sources, with all the corn and acorns gone. My point is could it be that we have over hunted our property? I think me and him do a pretty good job of scent control but by this time of year it feels like there aren't deer for miles, and our woods is extremely thick, you would think they would be bedding in there, but their not as far as I can tell. Would hunting less next season be beneficial? Or do I just suck at hunting? Any input/ advice would be appreciated, thanks guys.

2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure even playing the wind religiously would prevent you from overhunting 9 acres, if you've hunted it 70X.

This year has shown me that less is definitely more. I've hunted way less.....but had some really good sits when I did finally get in my woods (about a month after the opener). Our season got extended by 2 weeks, this year. I'll probably not hunt in 2011, until a month in, again.

3. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Couldnt agree more.

I used to do this back in 06-07 when i had unlimited time and could hunt 50-60 times a year. This year i got out probably 20 times and still killed 2 deer, Isaac killed 3, and my buddy Matt scored on his 135" and Freeman killed 1.

Id say, combined sits my property:

2006 saw 60, 1 deer killed (only me-65")
    2007 saw 60, 1 deer killed (only me)
    2008 saw 150+, 4 deer killed (me, Isaac-80")
    2009 saw 170+, 4 deer killed (me, isaac, Freeman, Luke-199")
    2010 saw 60 (so far), 7 deer killed (me, Isaac-112", Luke, Freeman, Matt-135")

on 100 acres. The numbers dont lie. Smart hunting, less pressure, more deer down. Bigger deer too :tu:

4. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's more than 9 but we primarily hunt in the 9 acre woods. There definitely must be something to that, I got friends that have gone out in the last few weeks for the first time and have had deer down, and big deer might I add.

5. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also if I am to cut back on the hunting, how do I choose my hunts? Grant it my time will be more limited next year (college) but I still anticipate a good amount of time.