Lens Abbreviations

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by BUCKS UP, Jan 11, 2017.

1. BUCKS UP

BUCKS UP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been making hunting videos for around 30 years. I am new to the DSLR camera world. I bought a Canon Ti5 and am window shopping for a lens. I think I know what I want to get as far as a lens goes,an 18-135 mm lens. What I don't understand are any of the abbreviations at the end of the description of the lens, like stm, usm,and there are more. I saw a few that just said "Standard". I just want to get the right lens the first time around without having to send it back. I will be using this lens for tree stand hunting. If some one could take a couple minutes to tell me what these abbreviations are I would appreciate it. Thanks! Steve

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    USM is Canon's naming system for one of their autofocus motor systems. It stands for ultrasonic motor. STM motor systems are stepper driven.

USM tends to be a bit faster to focus, but will still produce sound that is audible during video. STM is better suited for video as it's practically silent (albeit a bit slower).

If you're shooting a lot of video and utilizing your camera's AF (which you should since your camera has great video AF), then lean toward STM versions.

Sent from my Turbo 2.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017