Left Handed shooting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dunlap, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Dunlap

Dunlap Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How do or did you find out you were a left handed shooter?
    I'm starting to wonder if I should be shooting left handed as well. I'm right handed but I focus out of my left eye a lot faster than my right. I currently shoot right handed.

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Make a diamond with your hands arms lengths out, centering an object with both eyes open....close one eye at a time and see which eye is dominant. (The one the object stays centered)

3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never heard it put like that but just as effective ha. I always got told to point at something across room and close one eye or the other until your finger is pointing at what your trying to point at. If that makes sense anyway. Same thing really.

Finding out which eye is dominant is usually dictates which way to shoot but I have friends that shoot right handed and tale aim with left eye. They say shooting left handed feel awkward, although if I was in that situation I'd probably shoot left. I do things both ways so I guess I go off what feels natural. I shoot and throw right handed but write, bat, and do most other things left handed.

4. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with Matt, that really works. I am right-handed, but have always shot bow (not gun) left-handed. I have just always been more comfortable that way, and my left eye is dominant.

5. Dunlap

Dunlap Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the responses, I'm going to try this tomorrow and see which way i should shoot. Just acting as if I were drawing back left handed, it feels wierd. Something to get used to though I guess.

6. Dunlap

Dunlap Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm left eye dominate, guess I'm going to try and shoot a bow left handed and see how it feels.

7. alexjoelslaydon

alexjoelslaydon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im a lefty and i found out by makin a triangle with my hands, putting a bullet on a table and closing each eye after i looked at it with both open. whichever one doesnt move when you close your eye, thats the good one.

8. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Put your finger on an object and look with both eyes open. Close your left and look then your right and see. Whichever eye the object is the same when they are both open is the dominant eye.

9. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do everything left handed... throw, write, bat, Golf, play street hockey with my kids from time too time, the only thing I do right handed is use scissors... So I never gave it another thought to shoot a bow other then Left handed when I started when I was a teenager (many years ago lol)

<+>< Ps 46: 1 ><+>

10. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will say my experience is a little different. I'm right handed always shot RH, checked my eye dominance several years back and was left eye dominant, so I switched to shooting LH. I switched back to RH this past spring, I've killed deer both ways and feel comfortable shooting either way. So try LH at a pro shop and see how it feels. Good luck!

11. Dunlap

Dunlap Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone, I tried the diamond trick and at first, neither eye was dominent lol or so I thought. I did it again and my left eye is dominent. I'm going to try the pro shop around here and see how it works out. truthfully, it's wierd to think of shooting a bow left handed but if it'll help me out, I'm all about it. I shoot both eyes open with rifles and hand guns no problem but I've always had to close my left eye and re-open it.

12. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm right eye dominant and shoot right handed. But I was doing some work for a friend and shot his bow lefty. It felt extremely comfortable and I think I could easily switch, and just close my right eye when shooting. There's been several occasions gun hunting where I've had a critter come in the opposite side & just shot it left handed rather than contorting around to shoot normal.

13. Kiwininja

Kiwininja Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm right handed playing tennis, squash discus etc but play pool shoot a gun left handed! When I found out I was left eye dominant through a triangle with the fingers I learnt how to shoot the bow left handed took a little while to get use to it but second nature now ...

14. wrassjd

wrassjd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am left eye dominant and right hand dominant. To me, it makes sense to use my stronger arm to stabilize the bow while using my dominant eye to do the aiming. Seems like a win-win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. gvid200

gvid200 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am the same way. A bit of advice given to me-besides the obvious (do what works for you) was to squint your left eye when you shoot. Eventually trains your right eye to be dominate....hope this helps!

16. Dunlap

Dunlap Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I was thinking also but at the same time I tried to visualize pulling it back and my body just doesn't like it. I've never shot a left handed bow and i don't get a lot of down time so I'm going to try and make it to the pro shop in my area to see if they have any I can shoot.