Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Leave a Blind up or Take it Down

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by chieffan, Mar 20, 2018.

1. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been hunting this ground for a couple years. This year I have the hunting lease on it. Right out by back door, large areas of CRP with strips and patches of timber and creek. Have seen birds off an on all winter. Plan is to use a pop up blind and 3 decoys. Would it be best to leave the blind up (not afraid of theft) or take it down all the time. I would take the dec's down a put them in the blind when not hunting. Kinda of new at Turkey hunting so trying to learn the ins and outs.

2. Francis

Francis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I left my one out for a while, ended up getting sun baked and destroyed. If you're just using it for turkey season I'd leave it up if you have no worried of theft.

w33kender and chieffan like this.
  3. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I pop up 3 blinds a few days before season. I take them down when tags are filled or the last day of season. I leave the decoy stakes out and stash the decoys in each blind when not using them.

blackbear and chieffan like this.
  4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd leave it there. I usually set mine up about 2 weeks early and leave for the season. These birds aren't geniuses but I wouldn't be surprised if they start to pay attention to when it's there and when it isn't. Personally I think if you leave it and the birds are used to it, they won't know when someone is in it or not. Keep em' guessing! At least that's my strategy in my spot.

w33kender likes this.
  5. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I left a stand up last year, went to check it and the tree grew and tightened it up nicely, once you do a good safety check, I’m thinking about just replacing straps every three years.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on how much property you have, do you think there is a need to move, and how secure the property is. Here in Indiana where I hunt, the plots of land tend to be small, so there is really no place to move. On a couple of my properties, I fell pretty secure so I will just leave a blind up in a proven location all turkey season. I have a couple other properties where I don't trust outsiders to stay out, so I pack in and pack out every hunt. I had a Double Bull stolen way back in 2004 and that still stings to this day. Now where I go and hunt Kansas every year, the properties are huge. They are private but they are big and there can be a serious need to move locations from day to day or sometimes during a single day. So on those hunts I often pack in and pack out every hunt.

7. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The property I have is 1/4 section, 160 A with a lot of CRP, grass and strips of timber with some patches along the main creek. See bird, mostly couple at a time but have not located their roosting place yet. Weather has not been favorable at all, cold wet and windy. 25° no and talking snow for Easter Sunday. Only access is off a dead end dirt road or from a mile away. Ground is heavly posted along the road so not much concern of theft of the blind.
    With opening 16 days out I don't foresee much activity. As for moving it would be a short distance move like a few hundred yards is all. More than likely the blind will be on the North & East edge of a timber strip so will have some wind protection so once I get it set and staked down solid will leave it for the duration and hope for the best. Thanks for the advise. Might get lucky this year.

8. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I leave mine out for months at a time, just check for bees or weather messing with them.

I also replace mine every couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk