Learning to fletch

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swise660, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Vath

Vath Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna chime in again for the Arizona EZ Fletch system. Just purchased one last year to start fletching my own arrows and I love that thing! I have a second set of 4" arms as well so I can do my dads arrows now too when they need done. I don't think we'll ever go back to something else. The EZ Fletch just works too dang well.

Some quick tips for you on fletching.
    1. Definitely prep the arrow beforehand. I had some issues with vanes coming off after fletching due to me not cleaning the arrow off before re-fletching it.
    2. It is true that less is more when talking fletching glue. Just remember to spread it around with a toothpick or something so it fully seals the vane to the arrow.
    3. This is personal preference, but after I get done fletching the arrow I like to dab a bit more glue on the front tips of the vanes. It seems to prevent them from ever being ripped off due to target practice.

2. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And recommend using wraps once you clean the arrow so its easy to prep the arrow for future fletching if its needed.

3. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought the Bohning Jig and Clamp from the Bargain Cave at Cabelas. It only does one fletching at a time, but it is so easy to use and works great. Mine has a straight clamp, but you can get it with right or left helical (twist). Regular price is $35.99.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have an EZ fletch and I love it. I have been using it for a couple of years now and it works really well.

[​IMG]

5. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    some good advice here... I use the Bitzenberger jig with helical... little practice and quick set glue and ya can do an arrow in less then a minute... like you said too.. I like all my arrows the same, so after practicing on a few old arrows, I stripped the fletching off and re did all of them the same...
    To answer another of your questions that seems to have been skipped over... the difference between offset and helical... the fletching can produce spin in you arrow, just like rifling on a rifle... the quicker the spin generally the more stable the flight. Straight fletch (what ya get when ya buy prefletched arrow from the store) doesn't spin the arrow at all and you can experience unstable flight at longer ranges causing larger groupings. Offset spins the arrow and gives better groupings because of it, but the air friction over the fletch slows the arrow down more then straight flech. Helical spins the arrow even more, for tighter groupings, but in turn more friction and causes the arrows to slow down even more. Therefore, my advice would be.. if all your shots are gonna be close (25 yds or less), straight fletching would be fine... if you want better accuracy out for the 25-40 yds shots then offset would be the choice... if you want to learn to shoot out as far as you can (great for practice but wouldn't advise for hunting shots pass 40-50 yds) then go with helical... I went helical because I like to practice out there at 50-80 yards, then when hunting it makes those 20-40 yard shots a walk in the park :)

6. pohl-cat

pohl-cat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a AZ EZ mini also. I also use wraps before I put the vanes on. I've used the quick fletch before. They work great but they are mostly straight fletch or offset. The AZ mini puts a great helical on and I believe it's best for fixed heads. I also suggest using a quality glue like G5 blue glue, and like a lot have already said, a little goes a long way.

7. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So glad I had asked about this! Such great information. Over the next couple of weeks I plan to get what I need to do my own.

Thanks Smoke, for the info on helical vs. offset. So my arrows are definitely offset, but not straight. I have a short draw length of 25.5" and a lower draw weight - 49 lbs. I am guessing a helical vs. offset doesn't slow the arrow down enough for it to be a concern but with my set up, would you choose an offset over a helical?

I just haven't shot an arrow with helical vanes, so I have no idea if I want to change what I am used to and try it.

One more quick question, when using a wrap, how do you remove the vanes? Does the wrap get damaged and need to be replaced too? Never used a wrap either so I have no idea. I plan to get a zip strip at some point in time too, can you use a zip strip tool on a wrapped arrow?

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The great thing about fletching your own arrows is you can try a million different configurations. Offset, straight, which degree, how far forward or back to have fletchings, which fletching is the best, which fletching length is the best, etc.

You'll have to get new wraps. The portion underneath the vane usually comes off with it. Much easier to start at the bottom of the wrap and strip it all off. Onestringer's wraps are inexpensive so no big deal.

Not sure what your budget is but I strongly recommend getting the metal devices. I started out going the cheap route, but 2 years in I'm ready to upgrade to one that's metal and holds 6 arrows. One arrow at a time will take up a good chunk of your afternoon.

9. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I have found that using the quickfletch arrow wraps then fletching has worked out nice. A lot more durable than I anticipated have had 2 fletchings rip before the glue or fletchings gave out. Another plus is the wraps are shrink wrapped on so no glue residue when removing the wraps to refletch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had my Bohning helix tower for maybe 5 years and never had an issue with it. Doesn't seem like the most durable rig out there but it gets the job done, no complaints.