Leaf River IR's

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by TexasBowHunter, Sep 20, 2008.

1. TexasBowHunter

TexasBowHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I am looking for opinion's on the leaf river IR's, the IR5 or IR7. I can get these at a heck of a discount through a buddy of mine but haven't used one yet. I have been impressed with my I-40 but the reviews I have read on the leaf river's say that the trigger speed is about 1 second opposed to 2.5 seconds on the I-40. My I-40 takes excellent pic's, but if any of you have any experience with these leaf river IR's I would love to hear them, I can get the IR5 for the same price as a I-40. I know they retail for about $150 more than the I-40 and I want to know are they worth it???

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know a thing about there camera's but there digital trail timers are top notch!!

Good luck with them Tex if you get one!!

3. TexasBowHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Steve, like I said I am happy with the I-40 and will most likely stick with them unless I can be convinced that the Leaf River's are really that much better. I am one of those, if I have used it and it works, I will most likely stick with it. The thing is that I can pick up the leaf river's for the same price (hinghly discounted), so I thought I would at least check into it. I already ordered one but was offered more for it than I gave for it, needless to say I never got to check it out, so I figured before I order another I would check around....Thanks for the input brother!

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know about the newer ones, however I have an older leaf river. It has been back to them two times in the first two years we had it. Second time when it came back, the issue (flash) wasn't fixed. After multiple phone calls and emails into them with no response, I gave up. Since it only takes daytime pics and is older, now I use it specifically for catching trespassers. The battery life is awesome on it so I can leave it out there all season.

5. TexasBowHunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's not good...Thanks for the info RJ...

6. Jigglestick

Jigglestick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys, new here, just saw the topic and thought I'd add my 2c.

I bought a leaf river, used from a guy on archery talk.
    camera worked great, a bit intimidating and I had to retrain myself after not using it for any period of time, but that is most likely just me.
    I set the camera this fall in a location the kids and I could check fairly easily where we would likely get some nice deer pictures. the first time it hadn't been set off, so we let it be for three more days, and when we came to check it had recorded 51 images!
    the kids were pretty excited to see what we got pictures of and I pulled the card to put in the computer at hoe to check the images.
    the computer wouldnt read the images on the card. so I put my back up in the computer and it read those images just fine.
    back to the woods to retrieve the camera thinking we could maybe view them on the screen in the camera.
    when we got that back home, it wouldnt read the card. the images were all screwed up, like scrambled.
    I put my back up card in the camera to see if it would view the images on it, and it fried my back up card!! that really ticked me off.
    I wrote to vibrashine and jennifer emailed me back asking me to send in the camera and the card so they could figure out what was wrong with the camera.
    she said it would be about 2-3 weeks to get it fixed and send it back.
    over two weeks have passed and I wrote her again asking the status of the camera. she did not reply. I wrote again three days later and still no reply.
    I will call vibrashine this week and get to the bottom of this.
    I will let you know how it turns out.
    I should have just bought a new I 40 from the start.
    not impressed with leaf river so far...

7. Jigglestick

Dislikes Received:
    I called vibrashine (leaf river) today. I talked to a service rep, Don.
    he told me what they had found with the camera. acid damage (batteries leaked out)
    it wasn't bad and I cleaned it up, but it was noticeable.
    they replace the case, the camera and reformated both of my 256 mb cards that I thought were junk.
    since it was out of warranty, they charged me 59.95 and it will be sent out tomorrow.
    so, now I fell better, unless it doens't come this week, or if when it gets here, it doesn't work..but I'll wait to pass judgement until after I get it.

8. Jigglestick

Dislikes Received:
    I got my camera back today.
    it took a little doing, but they gave me a new case, a new camera and reformatted my sd cards for me.
    they accidently put the wrong mailing address on the shipping label. they had 38554 on every thing but put 39554 on the mailing label.
    that hung it up at ups.
    all is good, the camera seems to work fine. it cost me about 59.00 to get it back in good order.
    now I have to get some pictures of the big boy cruising the neighborhood!

9. TexasBowHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear they took care of that for you!!!!