Later rut this year?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by boilerman, Aug 20, 2016.

1. boilerman

boilerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking at the November rut season and with the full moon being later this year it looks like it is going to almost be a repeat of 2013. I think I might wait and extra week and a half before I book my vacation in November.
    Another question is do any of you use the moon phases to determine when the rut is going to happen. To me, it seems anyway that it has always been after the fall first full moon. It will be full moon on the 14 of November so it looks like it will be almost 2 weeks later this year.

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use the moon anymore.

3. minnesota1102

minnesota1102 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here in midwest Minnesota, the "Rut Prediction" was 2 weeks off last year. I guess we will have to just wait and see!

4. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rut timing is the same every year but the intensity can change due to weather. Too warm and it slows down. I don't use moon for determining hunting or the rut anymore. I keep notes to see if anything correlates but so far not much on the moon.

5. Adenhill

Adenhill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Charlie Alsheimer (Deer and Deer Hunting) has said multiple times in multiple interviews and articles about rutting behavior that if a certain doe in your area goes into heat on the 4th of November this year, she will go into heat on the 4th of November next year as well. And so on and so on. Whether this is actually true or not I do not know.

6. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year was so hot I don't know if the rut even happened. Though the fawns running around seem to indicate it did.