Late Season Calling/Rattling

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowafide, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the past week I have been out a few different times, mainly hunting evenings. I have decreased the amount of grunting and rattling I started with in early November, but have still been trying. Last week I tried rattling on both of my hunting spots to no avail. Even when deer started to show up later, they skirted my area and were not interested when I grunted or rattled at them. The land I hunt has small tree groves with open pasture and hilly terrain surrounding it. In my neck of the woods, I believe the rut is starting to taper off. What is your guys' opinion and experience with post-rut calling and rattling? Do you quit rattling all together? Thanks for the input.

2. Swampleech

Swampleech Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You should move positions to where the deer are skirting your area and try to set up closer to their trails. I still grunt late into the season until the rut ends. There may be some bucks that still are in the rut that will be attracted to your calls. I have never been big into rattling but may get the bag rattle for next season. Good luck with the rest of your season.

3. Pony30

Pony30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Grunted a deer in 2x just over a week ago to get a shot. Only after he walked out of range of my set up. Worked like a charm, nothing to aggressive, but man he was interested...

4. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the rut is far from over

5. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I realize the rut isn't over, I'm still seeing bucks chasin. im wondering what people implement for calling tactics as things begin slowing down. Do you change the way you call?

6. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I actually rattled my first buck in tonight. I haven't had any luck what so ever in the last few years trying, but hearing success stories, I've always want to accomplish it. Although it was only a spike, he came in to 40 yards, from 150. I used a set of horns I cut off a buck that got hit by a car a few years go. I didn't bang and clash them together like it two mature bucks, I more or less put them together like 2 bucks testing the waters